Gibson Brands Forums

The first L-00? Anyone really know?

vacamartin

On the UMGF a topic is on the "Meet CF martin" and Q&A. This was one of CF Martins contentions...can any of you verify it?....On the CEO-7 .....

"Line of the night He described the instrument as a "Martin copy of a Gibson… copy of a Martin" and noted that [paraphrase] "Even some folks at Gibson might not have known that theirs was a copy of an old Martin"

I believe 1929 was the year the "current" L-series flat-top body style replaced the older version with the rounder lower bout (the shape we associate with the Robert Johnson guitar).

You would probably want to look at Martin shapes from the 1920's to draw any conclusions.

While I have not read the thread an article appeared last year that actually talked about this.

http://www.vintagegu...33-gibson-l-00/

What I'm questioning is the claim by CF Martin that Gibson used a Martin prototype as their model for the Gibson L-00. Ever heard of the Martin prototype before?

"

"Even some folks at Gibson might not have known that theirs was a copy of an old Martin" .......that's what grabbed my eyes!

What I'm questioning is the claim by CF Martin that Gibson used a Martin prototype as their model for the Gibson L-00. Ever heard of the Martin prototype before?

"

"Even some folks at Gibson might not have known that theirs was a copy of an old Martin" .......that's what grabbed my eyes!

Certainly the L-series planform has a lot in common with the 1920's OO planform, but how similar the guitars would be dimensionally if you had them side by side, I don't really know.

Musical instrument makers have copied each other forever. For a good example, look at the history of the development of the "modern" (18th century on) violin, or the modern classical guitar.

How Gibson would get access to a Martin prototype to copy in 1929, I have no idea. Martin certainly had access to plenty of L-series Gibsons to copy for their modern version.

Which came first: the chicken, or the egg?

It's interesting when you follow the bracing patterns on the L1 and L0 models how the company tried at least three incarnations of their own bracing design before going to the X. The X brace used in the L00 design (actually also used in the last of the small body L styles in 1929) is undoubtedly derived from Martin and is the most significant thing to connect the L00 to the Martin 00, but it feels as though Gibson did their best to come up with something different and eventually conceded that the Martin design simply worked better than anything else.

I prefer to see it as a symbiosis of ideas rather than one company copying another - after all, CF himself benefited a great deal from the work of Staufer and other Austro-German and Spanish makers.

Not sure why anybody would care about any of this.

Every guitar on the road today owes a big debt to both Martin and Gibson.

And every guitar player on earth, except I guess those born with a silver spoon in their mouth, owes a big debt to Oscar Schmidt, Harmony and others and all those that came after them who built guitars they could afford.

Archived