Gibson Brands Forums

NPD!

Silvercrow

So today it arrived; Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe- bought it used for a guy on another forum. Every thing as advertised; excellent condition, original box, paperwork etc. Got a great deal and although I had some anxiousness deciding between this and the Fulltone Deja Vibe, so far I'm very pleased. The Fulltone pedals have great construction and are in my opinion well worth their cost, but the Deja had Trem settings I wouldn't use and a sweep that I'd probably only use half of. The Deja has a pulsating LED I wish the Micro had, but not a deal breaker.

My first hour with the pedal- very impressive. Put it though some paces just guitar>Micro>amp. VERY lush, swirly, has depth and is articulate. I can see where some folks say the "speed" isn't fast enough for them; even at extreme settings, although fast in my opinion, it is not "over the top" as were the Fulltone and MXR videos I saw. Again- I will not be using at extreme settings anyway. (As A note- most all videos had spent 10-20% time on lesser settings, then the rest of the video on hyper speed settings. Did not do much for me..but just MHO.

The Micro Vibe has me smiling, so I added my Od pedal (JRockett Archer). Put the Archer first in the chain and it was fine with single note / arpeggios, it flubbed playing chords. So I switched to the recommended path; Micro Vibe, Archer, Amp. WELL bless my soul! The grit I get is still there- the Vibe just adds....well, vibe! I did the requisite Bridge of Sighs and a couple of "Hendrix-style" riffs- oh yeah, we'll get along very well, me thinks!

Some of the songs I'm writing will be enhanced by this effect, in certain parts, and at lower Intensity and Speed settings, it adds some body and slows the attack just as I hoped it would.

One thing I read in reviews was that the Micro Vibe can cause "considerable" volume drop / signal loss. Some folks claimed up to 50% (?!). I got a good one; a BARELY perceptible volume drop when the dwell / speed is set 12 o'clock or "earlier"- nothing to make mention of otherwise.

Does not suck tone- although I do note that I had to "up" the tone on the archer pedal (from 12:30 to about 1:30 to keep the same level.

The usable range for me seems so far to be; Intensity between 9 and 1 o'clock; Speed between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. My particular sweet spot, so far, is Intensity 10 and Speed 1 o'clock.

Interacts with the guitar and my playing style very well so far.

I'm happy- will keep you posted! Thanks for reading!

Brian

Hi Brian, I'm pleased that your pedal has finally arrived =D> (saw your post in your other thread). Glad you are getting the sounds/tones that you have been seeking [thumbup] It would be great to hear your recordings :) [thumbup]

Hope you are having lot's of fun exploring the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe :)

kind regards, Emma :)

Thanks Emma! Yeah, I'm happy. Mostly by discovering new things to use in my...*ahem*...later years! I already plotted out a pedal board to attach to my other one. As I'm doing that, Linda walked in and smiled. I looked up at her and she says "Good! looks like you're keeping this one!" She knows me too well...

Love to hear your recordings too! If I ever figure this stuff out...

brian

Thanks Emma! Yeah, I'm happy. Mostly by discovering new things to use in my...*ahem*...later years! I already plotted out a pedal board to attach to my other one. As I'm doing that, Linda walked in and smiled. I looked up at her and she says "Good! looks like you're keeping this one!" She knows me too well...

Love to hear your recordings too! If I ever figure this stuff out...

brian

Hi Brian, I never used as many pedals as I do now. It's great to try out newer technology, I'm having lots of fun discovering new gear. Isn't it funny how family know if a new piece of gear is going to be a keeper :)

Really interested in your pedalboard design/layout [thumbup] Do you use a Voodoo Labs power supply?

I'm getting my music down on paper, nothing worse coming up with an idea and you can't remember how you play it. Got to wait two more weeks for some more toys (YAY). Also got to invest in a new laptop, once I get that sorted I can post some tunes [thumbup]

Hi Brian, I never used as many pedals as I do now. It's great to try out newer technology, I'm having lots of fun discovering new gear. Isn't it funny how family know if a new piece of gear is going to be a keeper :)

Really interested in your pedalboard design/layout [thumbup] Do you use a Voodoo Labs power supply?

I'm getting my music down on paper, nothing worse coming up with an idea and you can't remember how you play it. Got to wait two more weeks for some more toys (YAY). Also got to invest in a new laptop, once I get that sorted I can post some tunes [thumbup]

I'll post some pics- I worked up a design of a "modular" pedal board and had posted a pic a couple months ago. NOW I get to build the second "module" and hook 'em together. The idea is each pedal has it's own "cradle" and can be strung together, side/side, top/bottom, or stand alone. I made it because recently I've only been using one pedal-the Archer- and it's so small it would 1- look ridiculous on even a small pedal board by itself and 2- it's so small I could see it getting knocked / pulled all over the stage.

I'll only have two pedals in operation at this point, so no, I don't have a multi port power supply. I have a Fulltone 9v center negative I use sometimes with the Archer; it will work with the VL Micro too. I just sold my Crybaby wah, but I tried out the new Dunlop "mini"...and may be interested! Really small, but can do 3 different wah types (Dunlop) and has a mechanism to set the pressure needed to rock the pedal. It sounds great IMO- better than my "Original"...but don't know why.

I agree- I write down everything music-wise for my originals (and covers I'm learning). I have a "musicians notebook" made by a company here in Philly that has chord "blocks" across the top of each page and then TAB staffs below. I also keep a journal for lyrics and various settings, amp / pedals and guitar for the songs and the venues I play. (Pretty sparse right now- hoping that will change soon!).

Great hearing from you as always! Let us know what's new in the musical world of Autumn Light & Shade!

Brian

I'll post some pics- I worked up a design of a "modular" pedal board and had posted a pic a couple months ago. NOW I get to build the second "module" and hook 'em together. The idea is each pedal has it's own "cradle" and can be strung together, side/side, top/bottom, or stand alone. I made it because recently I've only been using one pedal-the Archer- and it's so small it would 1- look ridiculous on even a small pedal board by itself and 2- it's so small I could see it getting knocked / pulled all over the stage.

I'll only have two pedals in operation at this point, so no, I don't have a multi port power supply. I have a Fulltone 9v center negative I use sometimes with the Archer; it will work with the VL Micro too. I just sold my Crybaby wah, but I tried out the new Dunlop "mini"...and may be interested! Really small, but can do 3 different wah types (Dunlop) and has a mechanism to set the pressure needed to rock the pedal. It sounds great IMO- better than my "Original"...but don't know why.

I agree- I write down everything music-wise for my originals (and covers I'm learning). I have a "musicians notebook" made by a company here in Philly that has chord "blocks" across the top of each page and then TAB staffs below. I also keep a journal for lyrics and various settings, amp / pedals and guitar for the songs and the venues I play. (Pretty sparse right now- hoping that will change soon!).

Great hearing from you as always! Let us know what's new in the musical world of Autumn Light & Shade!

Brian

Hi Brian, I remember now the photo you put up of your pedal cradle [thumbup] That's a brilliant idea, keeps them tidy and safe.A friend of mine has loads of pedals, but he keeps them in a cardboard box stacked haphazardly.

I've seen really impressive demoes of the Dunlop Mini Wah, it's very responsive. I too would be very tempted. Plus you can have more pedals on your board, which is always a plus [thumbup]

I've ordered tab/stave manuscript books to get those ideas written done. That's a great idea having a notebook specifically for all pedal/amp/guitar vol/tone. [thumbup]

It's good to here from you too, kind regards, Emma :)

I used the Micro-Vibe for about a year while searching for a really good "Vibe" pedal. It's a decent sounding unit. I found it added quite a bit of treble - not a bad thing when wanting leads to cut through. I had the best results by tweaking the internal trimmer to really ramp up the throb. I'd recommend twisting that a bit.

I used the Micro-Vibe for about a year while searching for a really good "Vibe" pedal. It's a decent sounding unit. I found it added quite a bit of treble - not a bad thing when wanting leads to cut through. I had the best results by tweaking the internal trimmer to really ramp up the throb. I'd recommend twisting that a bit.

What did you finally get, Surfpup? One that stood out for me ...dang- forget the name! $250.00 +/- I think it might have been the offering by AnalogMan? Too high priced...unless in a year or so I find myself using it quite a bit.

I'll do some tweaking over the weekend..I am aware of the ability to do that with this unit.

Let us know what you got and how you are using it! Thanks!

Brian

cool pedal! like you i was also looking at the deja vibe. i bought it because that's the one that came up used, first. as you reported with your micro vibe, i also get a vol drop that is rather noticeable, and i would also like a touch more speed. sounds like the 2 are similar. good for you!

Eventually I ended up with the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2 pedal. Nothing else seemed to compare.

OOOOHHH YEAH! Bro, I came within a cat's hair of getting the Deja, a blem model on the Fulltone site, when the Voodoo Lab came up for sale. Got it for $90.00 shipped, excellent condition, so in my head anyway, I saved around $50-60. BUT I do think the Deja is superior- the only thing that sounded perhaps a tad better was the Roger Maher...and thats only judging by InnerNat vids.

I'm really happy and the fact that I'd probably not use the "modern" or "vibrato" settings helped me too.

Thanks man! I love Fulltone stuff and Fuller seems to be a great guy (on the phone he was talkitive, friendly and helpful).

Brian

cool pedal! like you i was also looking at the deja vibe. i bought it because that's the one that came up used, first. as you reported with your micro vibe, i also get a vol drop that is rather noticeable, and i would also like a touch more speed. sounds like the 2 are similar. good for you!

Thanks Kuma! Yeah, sounds like our experiences are similar. For speed and depth I'm reading the JHS mod does wonders. 50 bones and whatever shipping- I might just try it after I find an amp I'm looking for and getting a bone nut on my LP Studio.

Are you using it in the "traditional" sense (Hendrix, Trower etc. style)? I'm gonna be trying mine out as sort of a tone shaper at practice tomorrow night. The Worship team is doing some songs that need a little 'help' in the pizazz area (many do IMO).

Interested in your thoughts on uses and settings....thanks!

Brian

Archived