Gibson Brands Forums

NAD!!(?)

Silvercrow

So, in the world of Silvercrow aka Brian NOTHING goes easy. There is no short straight-line distance between two points, blah blah.

Over the weekend I made a deal on a Fender Mustang III, only to learn at the last minute it was a v.1 , which incidently does NOT have the wonderful "line outs" in the rear that the sound guys at church said is imperative for "Holy" guitar tone. Canceled that deal with a very nice and trustworthy seller, last minute yesterday (Monday). He makes a suggestion- I follow it. There is a v.2 reportedly in excellent condition at guitar Center, Virginia Beach, Virginia (LOVE Virginia BTW).

Call the store in Va.- the sales guy is harried- they are short staffed. After 5 minutes of careful interrogation I know LESS than I knew before about the amp to begin with! (if you've ever seen a G.C. "used" ad on their website you'll know they are not discriptive, at all). Counted the number of stars on the ad (5), read the word "excellent", that is all. Blurry picture of what could be an amp or a cardboard box with a black drape over it.

I pull the trigger AFTER calling my local G.C. (also understaffed)and verify that if I no-likey the amp, I can bring it back to them w/in 30 days. Being thrifty (CHEAPSKATE) I elect UPS Economy Ground service. 4-5 days, delivery. I think hey, it'll be here by Friday.

This morning I get an email notification- the package is on the truck- OUT FOR DELIVERY!

Being skeptical (cynical)I check the travel history. Sure enough, the planets have aligned and the package should be here today.

I have never experienced anything like this. How about you? Any 1 day deliveries with paying through the a$$...er...nose?

Anyway- excited to get this little amp- report to follow. Thanks for checking out my ramblings...

Brian

I think I did a 2 day from Kansas once (my 2002 les paul that I got from EM Shorts), and there were no issues. as long as the store packs it right, you're good.

these are not heavy amps, and if they put it back in the factory packing from fender, it's double boxed.

And as you note, one of the big diffs in the V1 to V2 for the physical changes is the DI in V2,

you also get a few more amp models and effects as well as a few very much lacking firmware updates in v1 which are included in v2,

(like the ability to use the 2 button foot switch as an on/off for things other than just the stomp box eg: ability to use it to toggle delay on and off.)

so you get all of this stuff w/v2, while not worth me upgrading my v1 to a v2, I sort of wish my amp had them.

just as a side note, you may eventually want to scope out the 4 button foot switch to use along with the 2 button, this gives quite a lot of remote control over the amps settings, and preset options for on the fly setting changes, This amp makes for a real clean setup where these foot switch cables provided are long enough to fit most performing situations.

So yea man, congrats on your score, and let us know how you make out. btw,, you can PM me if you have any questions as you start to get acquainted with it.

good luck

/Ray

I think I did a 2 day from Kansas once (my 2002 les paul that I got from EM Shorts), and there were no issues. as long as the store packs it right, you're good.

these are not heavy amps, and if they put it back in the factory packing from fender, it's double boxed.

And as you note, one of the big diffs in the V1 to V2 for the physical changes is the DI in V2,

you also get a few more amp models and effects as well as a few very much lacking firmware updates in v1 which are included in v2,

(like the ability to use the 2 button foot switch as an on/off for things other than just the stomp box eg: ability to use it to toggle delay on and off.)

so you get all of this stuff w/v2, while not worth me upgrading my v1 to a v2, I sort of wish my amp had them.

just as a side note, you may eventually want to scope out the 4 button foot switch to use along with the 2 button, this gives quite a lot of remote control over the amps settings, and preset options for on the fly setting changes, This amp makes for a real clean setup where these foot switch cables provided are long enough to fit most performing situations.

So yea man, congrats on your score, and let us know how you make out. btw,, you can PM me if you have any questions as you start to get acquainted with it.

good luck

/Ray

Hey Kidblast! Thanks for the offer (I was actually going to ask you if I could pick your brain, as I am not-so-technically astute)!

It crossed my mind about the packaging (they were busy and understaffed), of course if there is anything wrong I can return it, but who wants to do that?

I'll look into those pedals (4 button), I just learned a little about them last evening watching an "In the Blues" YouTube video. The host is a real proponent of the Mustang III v2 and I never thought that I'd be excited about a modeling amp, but I am! There is so much potential in addition to my initial intended use.

I'm a cynic in many respects, so tell me, if the software is not present with the amp can it be independently downloaded from somewhere reliable?

I'm thinking I'll probably do what the "In the Blues" guy did- built three special "patches" he alternates through. When I tried the amp out at a GC near me last week, I really liked the 65 Deluxe, the British 70s (Vox AC I suppose) and the Princeton.

Many years ago I tried a Roland Cube- forget the model. It was good, but I noticed that at settings I liked, there was some "skip" or I guess re-generation of the digital signal. Probably saying that wrong; For example, striking a chord and letting it decay, it sounded very tube-like, to a point. Then a very brief hesitation and continuation of decay. Not smooth.

Trying that with the Mustang III v2- no problem. Nice, even decay. Also was able to crank it up in the Vox mode and play right at the edge of it "going over"; great tone and harmonics! Don't know how they're doing it, but pretty darn impressive! And for the price and portability factors...almost a no-brainer for me!

I'll always love my tube amps, but I can see me and Mr. Mustang becoming fast and lasting friends.

Thanks again- I'll be taking you up on your very kind offer!

brian

Hi Brian,

you most certainly can PM me with any questions or we can just exchange emails if that is easier.

no problem!

about the software, in a nut shell,here's how you will go about it.

the Fuse Software (SHOULD) be included with the packing material for your amp.. but of course, since it's used, there is no guarantee, but no worries, it's all downloadable from: https://fuse.fender.com/

the down load links are right off the main page.

once you download the installation package, you can just install that as you do any other windows based installer (I am assuming you are using windows...) keep in mind, there is MAC support as well.

after installing fuse, reboot the PC..

plug a USB-2 cable from the amp to a USB port on your PC, and turn it on. (again assuming..) windows.. the device mgr will see it and install the native drivers.

now you can fire up fuse and you should be connected.

here are some links in case you need them.

Mustang support page:

http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/?category=fender-mustang-v-2-amplifier-series

Quick Start: (start here)

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_III-V_%28V.2%29_Quick_Start_Guide_Rev-B_MULTI.pdf

Manual:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_I-IV_%28V.2%29_Advanced_Manual_Rev-A_English.pdf

reach out to me with a PM if you need some help. Most of the time Fuse installs seamlessly and you just "connect"

a lot depends on your version of windows, and how old your pc is,,

you will use fuse to update firmware, manage presets and down load other presets (like from the Fuse library here: https://fuse.fender.com/mustangv2/

and that would be Shane (from In The Blues) he is a fanatic about mustangs, and a real good dude. I've reached out to him a few times, he's quite enthusiastic.

let us know how you make out Brian

/Ray

Hi Brian,

you most certainly can PM me with any questions or we can just exchange emails if that is easier.

no problem!

about the software, in a nut shell,here's how you will go about it.

the Fuse Software (SHOULD) be included with the packing material for your amp.. but of course, since it's used, there is no guarantee, but no worries, it's all downloadable from: https://fuse.fender.com/

the down load links are right off the main page.

once you download the installation package, you can just install that as you do any other windows based installer (I am assuming you are using windows...) keep in mind, there is MAC support as well.

after installing fuse, reboot the PC..

plug a USB-2 cable from the amp to a USB port on your PC, and turn it on. (again assuming..) windows.. the device mgr will see it and install the native drivers.

now you can fire up fuse and you should be connected.

here are some links in case you need them.

Mustang support page:

http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/?category=fender-mustang-v-2-amplifier-series

Quick Start: (start here)

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_III-V_%28V.2%29_Quick_Start_Guide_Rev-B_MULTI.pdf

Manual:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_I-IV_%28V.2%29_Advanced_Manual_Rev-A_English.pdf

reach out to me with a PM if you need some help. Most of the time Fuse installs seamlessly and you just "connect"

a lot depends on your version of windows, and how old your pc is,,

you will use fuse to update firmware, manage presets and down load other presets (like from the Fuse library here: https://fuse.fender.com/mustangv2/

and that would be Shane (from In The Blues) he is a fanatic about mustangs, and a real good dude. I've reached out to him a few times, he's quite enthusiastic.

let us know how you make out Brian

/Ray

Thanks Ray! VERY helpful! I'll PM you with my email addresses.

Brian

Ordered my Strat from Sweetwater on a Thur. morning got it Fri Afternoon , I was like you totally caught me by surprise

4H

YEAH! Not complaining...but unbelievable! And then, two weeks ago, priority mail took four days to get to me..., from the state immediately above me... :blink:

Yeah well- When Strats, Gibsons or Amps arrive early, it's a happy thing! Thanks for sharing!

Brian

Hi Brian, congrats with the new amp [thumbup] Has it arrived yet [-o<

kind regards, Emma :)

Hi Emma-

YES- it arrived! Excellent condition AND not only the 2 button footswitch, but also the 4 button upgraded footswitch wit it! Playing with it now- I'll need some help. But wow, it is a great sounding amp. Amazed at how far digital has come...

Brian

Hi Emma-

YES- it arrived! Excellent condition AND not only the 2 button footswitch, but also the 4 button upgraded footswitch wit it! Playing with it now- I'll need some help. But wow, it is a great sounding amp. Amazed at how far digital has come...

Brian

Hi Brian, That's fantastic news [thumbup] You've got yourself a really good deal [thumbup] I've heard really good reviews of the Mustangs. Awesome amps [thumbup] Hope you are having lot's of fun :)

kind regards, Emma :)

Thanks Emma, Ray and everyone! I am having a ball with this and remarkably, am not becoming too frustrated with the learning curve (steep for us non-techies)!

I haven't had a chance to put pedals in front of any of the models yet, it will be interesting to see how that goes. But for $224.00 used ($270. when you figure tax and shipping)I feel I got a lot of amp. The extra footswitch sweetens the deal. And G.C., for all the grief they take from many, including me, did a very good job of packing and shipping.

Tonight I'm getting together with a friend to jam and to basically see how we gel as a 'unit'. So I'll have a little taste of how the amp will perform in that limited environment. He's an older guy too and like me, unfamiliar with digital and modeling. I'm interested to get his feedback. He's a brutally honest guy, so I'll get his straight opinion... [wink]

Brian

awesome Brian

btw. the guy I consider my "wing man" whom I've been working with since 1977, we've both gone thru enough gear to put a music store down, he thinks his MIII v2 is the best amp he has ever owned, and he has owned a crap load of them.

I've done a few gigs with my MIV and it's worked flawlessly. one guy who approached me and inquired how I was getting the sounds I was with what he assumed a 2x12 HR Deville.

He was very surprised to find out I was using a modeling amp.

"you're kidding!"

"nope"

"wow"

"I know"

:)

These amps ARE the bomb.

awesome Brian

btw. the guy I consider my "wing man" whom I've been working with since 1977, we've both gone thru enough gear to put a music store down, he thinks his MIII v2 is the best amp he has ever owned, and he has owned a crap load of them.

I've done a few gigs with my MIV and it's worked flawlessly. one guy who approached me and inquired how I was getting the sounds I was with what he assumed a 2x12 HR Deville.

He was very surprised to find out I was using a modeling amp.

"you're kidding!"

"nope"

"wow"

"I know"

:)

These amps ARE the bomb.

Thats so cool! I'm thinking of doing a little "report" on my jam last night with my buddy. He let me play his '54 Les Paul- wow! I know not all old guitars are good, but this one is killer!

But to the point- he was amazed. "Darn! That sounds REALLY good!" I said yeah, I was surprised too! then he says, "What really surprises me is you! A MODELING amp, MADE IN CHINA? Is this the real Brian...?"

Like I said- old dog, new tricks.

Can't thank you enough for the reccommendation. I might have gone and spent almost 3 times as much on the new Bluescube (although it IS Eric Johnson approved...)

Continuing to delve...

Brian

Archived