Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a genuine Les Paul?

Bartek

Another subtle difference that marks it as a Chibson is the Gibson logo. The left edge of the G is very slightly tilted on the fake the real one would be almost straight in line with the neck.

There are no nibs over the fret ends.

There are screw heads on the bridge, a real one doesn't have those.

Crooked tuners.

Fake. Definitely fake. Glad you didn't go for it.

Crooked, misaligned tuners are normal on a Gibson Les Paul if the guitar is old enough - like 1958 old, which this guitar is not!

Everything else rings true, though - the scarfed neck (obviously not a repair) and the metric parts are the real giveaways.

A lack of fret edge binding can indicate a refret, or a newer model, but taken in context with the other things, this is obviously not a refretted Gibson. Another thing that I've noticed about Gibsons compared to Epiphones or other makes is that Gibson frets tend to be very square in profile.

That is incorrect. In extreme cases, a new headstock will be scarfed on.

However, in that case, the joint would be in a completely different direction. The scarf would start at the nut, and angle down towards the back of the neck. This is obviously not the case here.

Hello Erick!

How? By cutting off the wounded section of neck and the headstock? Making it a shorter-scale guitar?

Just curious. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Erick!

How? By cutting off the wounded section of neck and the headstock? Making it a shorter-scale guitar?

Just curious. :)

Cheers... Bence

This is how.

You can also remove the fretboard and scarf it liks an Epi. In fact, I think that's the more common way I've seen it done. I can't imagine why you'd assume anyone would be daft enough to come up with a repair that made the neck shorter.

This is how.

You can also remove the fretboard and scarf it liks an Epi. In fact, I think that's the more common way I've seen it done. I can't imagine why you'd assume anyone would be daft enough to come up with a repair that made the neck shorter.

Hello Erick!

Yes, I know about this technique, but accomplishing such an operation depends too much on luck. How lucky You have to be to find a Gibson neck for sale? Gibson doesn't sells them. You might however craft a new neck, and attach a Gibson headstock overlay, but then why not set a complete new neck in place of the broken?

Best wishes... Bence

The post I am referencing just shows the technique, when I do a repair like this, I just make a new headstock. The reason you make a headstock instead of a whole neck is that it's a whole lot easier and faster to make just a headstock!

The post I am referencing just shows the technique, when I do a repair like this, I just make a new headstock. The reason you make a headstock instead of a whole neck is that it's a whole lot easier and faster to make just a headstock!

Alright. Thanks for explaining. [thumbup]

While at it, do You happen to know, whether the split-diamond inlay on the Gibson LP Custom headstock is sprayed over with lacquer, or inlays are laid there after the holly is already sprayed?

I have two pieces of them curling up on a guitar, need to repair them somehow.

Thanks in advance... Bence

Alright. Thanks for explaining. [thumbup]

While at it, do You happen to know, whether the split-diamond inlay on the Gibson LP Custom headstock is sprayed over with lacquer, or inlays are laid there after the holly is already sprayed?

I have two pieces of them curling up on a guitar, need to repair them somehow.

Thanks in advance... Bence

I'm pretty sure that the veneers are actually dyed, in fact, as far as I know, Gibson overlays use pre-dyed fiberboard in this day and age. What I do know is that the custom-style headstock overlays are constructed in full, including inlays and binding, before they're applied to the headstock, and have been done this way since at least the 70s. You'll see a batch of new-old-stock ones from the period on Ebay periodically.

You may want to ask around on Luthiertalk.com. There are a lot of people there much more well-versed in this thing than a hobbyist like me!

Archived