Gibson Brands Forums

Tone/Amp Problems

carranoj25

So I have recently acquired a Boss Overdrive pedal, Keeley Wah pedal, and Boss distortion. Along with this I have my Gibson SG and a Marshall JCM800 50W. Now I tried hooking up all three pedals and have been getting some insane speaker feedback. Is this normal? Even with just the overdrive pedal, I am getting some serious feedback and tone breaking up rather quickly. Is there a specific order in which I should put the pedals? Any help is appreciated guys thanks!

Hello!

I'd connect the Wah first, then one of the overdrive/distortion units. Then, a noise gate.

Depending on the genre of music You are playing, You might need to experiment with the overdrive unit's and the amp's gain settings. I play hard blues/classic metal kind of stuff. For these genres, I set the amp's gain at 4-5, and - for a more transparent tone - I use a softer overdrive unit (Tube Screamer) with it's gain set at 5-6. For maxing out sustain, I put a EP booster in the front of the chain - set at 50% of gain.

Also, the pickups make a difference too! With hotter pickups breakup happens at lower gain/volume levels.

Cheers... Bence

Wah resonance and additional gain using distortion and/or boost pedals invite trouble. Do you have a halfstack using a slanted 4 x 12" cabinet? Depending on distance there are chances the axes of the voice coils of the upper speakers aim directly on your guitar.

My bandmate has the same problem with his 100 Watts JCM 900 slanted halfstack without an additional distortion pedal when using a single coil guitar or a humbucker guitar with a wah, let alone a single coil guitar with wah.

Hope this helps.

I have a halfstack but its a 2x12 cabinet. Should I only use just the distortion or the OD? and not both? I will have to look into a noise gate.

I would simply, See if you can get by using the OD

The Marshall should have enough gain on it's own where you should not need the gain pedal but the OD could help bump you up in the mix for solos.

BTW, the Wah should be 1st in your signal path from your guitar.

Archived