Gibson Brands Forums

J-100 Walnut

Tman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tman, I forgot to ask--how do you think the sound of the maple J-200s in the Wildwood videos compare to yours? I'd be curious how reality sounds compared to the recording.

Given the fact that it is a recording (and expertly played by him), I think they sound the same (I am assuming you mean Maple 200 vs Maple 200?). Also the Maple 200 sounds very similar, on the recording, as the new Walnut 100.

You'll definitely have to play it and I can tell, you are going to enjoy the hell out of it. One thing that doesn't come through on any recording so far is the feel of the resonance when you strum a chord and let it ring. The Walnut wins in my hands.

Honestly, and I know this is unsolicited, if you are anything like me, you should get the J-200. It seems from reading your posts that you have wanted a sunburst 200 for a long time. If you don't get one a little voice, like a demon sitting your shoulder will whisper, "what the hell have you done?", incessantly....like Chinese water torture. That is until you get it out of your system. [cursing]

Given the fact that it is a recording (and expertly played by him), I think they sound the same (I am assuming you mean Maple 200 vs Maple 200?). Also the Maple 200 sounds very similar, on the recording, as the new Walnut 100.

You'll definitely have to play it and I can tell, you are going to enjoy the hell out of it. One thing that doesn't come through on any recording so far is the feel of the resonance when you strum a chord and let it ring. The Walnut wins in my hands.

Honestly, and I know this is unsolicited, if you are anything like me, you should get the J-200. It seems from reading your posts that you have wanted a sunburst 200 for a long time. If you don't get one a little voice, like a demon sitting your shoulder will whisper, "what the hell have you done?", incessantly....like Chinese water torture. That is until you get it out of your system. [cursing]

Right, that's what I'm worried about! But by the same token, I also worry I'll get an SJ-200 and think, hmm, maybe that walnut was the way to go...! Classic first-world problem of too many choices :)

I was actually going to ask about the resonance, too. I've heard so many people say that a J-200 is really fun to play because it just sounds and feels so beefy to the player. Sounds like that has not been lost with the walnut, and might even be enhanced!

Thanks Kelly!

Someone wrote on the youtube first comparison video that they were deciding whether to get one or not and the sound made up their mind and they bought one. Very cool [thumbup]

Hey, maybe I can get them to post a video, too! :P Feed my obsession!

Archived