Gibson Brands Forums

Strings - Santa Cruz Low Tension

duluthdan

Installed a new set of the recently available Santa Cruz 'Low Tension' Parabolic Strings on the J-45TV. Nice sound, and even though this guitar was setup with a medium/light action, these strings really are the easiest to play (in my sloppy style)that I have ever encountered. Its the Tension, not the Gauge that this company touts. Seem to be approximate 12 gauge set, but not. Evenly balanced string to string. A bit pricey, so will see how they hold up - I play this guitar a couple of hours a day, so we'll see. So far, so good, even though I think I might be better off with a Medium Tension set.

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/scgc-strings/

I think that's what DR does with Sunbeams.........round, smaller diameter core wrapped with larger diameter wire. I believe they take an extra step in shaving the outer wrap a thousandth or two for a little smoother feel. The round core of a smaller diameter than standard is where the "low tension" comes from. Have you tried Sunbeams on the same instrument? Be curious to know if they feel pretty much the same in tension...............

I think that's what DR does with Sunbeams.........round, smaller diameter core wrapped with larger diameter wire. I believe they take an extra step in shaving the outer wrap a thousandth or two for a little smoother feel. The round core of a smaller diameter than standard is where the "low tension" comes from. Have you tried Sunbeams on the same instrument? Be curious to know if they feel pretty much the same in tension...............

Sunbeams are one of my "go-to" strings on the J-45. These seem to have less tension, and are ridiculously easy to play - initial impression of the sound is good, though I do detect a bit of a dominant open G string.

Quickly recorded for a friend out in Oregon. Long story. But here's the strings.

Yeah, these are simply strings wound on a round core instead of hex. Many of us with older guitars lean towards these strings as we can go with a heavier gauge while not worrying as much about the guitar. In addition to the DR Sunbeams there are Newtone (which cost about the same as the Santa Cruz strings) and the D'Aquisto Tony Rice Nickel 13s.

Those strings sound real good, Dan. Certainly, the guitar plays a critical role, but those strings do seem to sound different from others. I'm not one to do much experimenting with strings, but this is pretty intriguing. Might have to try a set or two of those. Also, it's remarkable how similar our playing styles are. I might fingerpick a little more than you, but the technique, slides, strums, and especially the ballads are all in the same ballpark.

Wow. Came for the strings, stayed for the song, singing, and that guitar. Really enjoyed that.

Anyway, I would really like to try these as well but have been put off by the price. I have tried DR Sunbeams and was not impressed, but that was some time ago, and maybe they just didn't suit the guitar I tried them on.

I have tried DR Rares recently though and like them enough that I'm going to order some more of them.

If I liked these Santa Cruz ones and they lasted, I think it would be worth the cost. Like those DR Rares so much though!

Archived