Gibson Brands Forums

New Bridge...TonePros

Silvercrow

Bence, I had to shave about 1.5mms off of my INserts but the rest of the process was exceedingly easy.

Hello Mike!

I had to file off much more from the bottom of the posts. When I looked at their site last time, I saw that they slightly altered the design of the iNserts.

Bence when you did your replacement, did you have to replace the bushings inside the guitar, and use the supplied bushings? I noticed that there's a tool for removing the current bushings, or can you drop the new bridge pins into existing bushings?

Hello Pesh!

Yes, I used the iNserts. The iNserts won't go into the existing bushings, they are knurled, not threaded and much wider in diameter. Driving out the stock bushings is very easy. Thread the supplied bolt in, when it bottoms out, it starts to drive the bushing out.

I have found my old thread on this: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/113319-essential-changes-to-my-classic-custom/page__st__20

I think the best part about using the Faber unit, are the iNserts themselves. They provide a very tight coupling, than the loose stock bushings.

Cheers... Bence

Well, as always, I'm learning a lot!

Bence- you did show me a video of the Faber system previously and it was impressive. I didn't fully understand all the removal system stuff and balked, as I sometimes do. So in reading all the related posts here, I considered starting at the beginning again. BUT... then last night as I was playing I realized how satisfied I am with the tone I have currently.

I do believe I have a smidge of added sustain and perhaps girth.

What REALLY settled it for me in sticking with the TonePros I just installed was borrowing my buddy's Peterson tuner this weekend and re-checking the intonation- Unless I had used a REAL strobe tuner and not the Peterson clip on, I don't think I could have done better.

AND Surfpup- thanks for the pic- the aluminum stoptail will do well and I'll get a set of nickel TonePros locking studs to complete it.

NEXT comes modding my Fender 68 CDR. But thats another thread.

Carry on folks and again-thanks all!

Brian

Hello Mike!

I had to file off much more from the bottom of the posts. When I looked at their site last time, I saw that they slightly altered the design of the iNserts.

Hello Pesh!

Yes, I used the iNserts. The iNserts won't go into the existing bushings, they are knurled, not threaded and much wider in diameter. Driving out the stock bushings is very easy. Thread the supplied bolt in, when it bottoms out, it starts to drive the bushing out.

I have found my old thread on this: http://forum.gibson....om/page__st__20

I think the best part about using the Faber unit, are the iNserts themselves. They provide a very tight coupling, than the loose stock bushings.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence, but I'm a bit confused still. The ABRN bridge on TokaiGuitar (link) seems to say that you can use an ABRN on top of existing Nashville posts:

"Perhaps the most vintage correct replacement bridge available on the market today! No rattle-causing retainer wire! Increased sustain and pick attack due to the brass saddles being countersunk from a solid piece of brass – not cast! Flat top saddles provide tight, 100% mechanical contact in the ABR frame. Available in various frame and saddle finishes, including TITANIUM saddles (nickel plated frame only)! Saddles (natural, nickel and gold plated) have starter notches dead center.

Note: Use only on existing Nashville style posts - not for use on original ABR-1 (6-32) style posts. "

Does this mean that you using the iNsert posts was a surplus to the bridge replacement? Trying to establish that you could put an ABRN on without having to replace posts; I don't find the site clear, and want to have to have crystal clarity msp_unsure.gifmsp_confused.gif I understand that the iNsert posts are, however, good to use due to their superiority over stock inserts.

Hello!

As it seems, they work with the original Nashville posts too.

But here is what they say about the iNserts...

"With the Faber® iNsert™, you now have the option of replacing the tone robbing pot metal inserts in your Nashville bridge equipped guitar with the highest quality, tone enhancing German steel inserts on the market today. This system, with 4mm upper threaded posts, is reversible and requires no modification to your guitar, and will allow you to use either the Faber® ABR-1 style ABRN/ABRM bridges, or our revolutionary ABRL Tone-Lock™ bridge.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello!

As it seems, they work with the original Nashville posts too.

But here is what they say about the iNserts...

"With the Faber® iNsert™, you now have the option of replacing the tone robbing pot metal inserts in your Nashville bridge equipped guitar with the highest quality, tone enhancing German steel inserts on the market today. This system, with 4mm upper threaded posts, is reversible and requires no modification to your guitar, and will allow you to use either the Faber® ABR-1 style ABRN/ABRM bridges, or our revolutionary ABRL Tone-Lock™ bridge.

Best wishes... Bence

Thanks again, Bence. I know the onslaught of questions might be a hassle, but it is truly appreciated you took the time to answer my queries. I know I'm going to get an ABRN model for my 2014 LP Studio, and I think I might be brave and try out replacing the bushings and bridge posts, too. I'll be trying out a tailpiece replacement at the same time, and might even do a video!

You are welcome!

Usually, I only mod guitars that seems to lack something. Only two out of my six guitars got modified, not counting the Strap-locks, which are must-have on all of them.

I was thinking about adding an aluminium Faber tailpiece with the Tone-lock rings on the Classic Custom, but I was satisfied with it's sound after the capacitor and bridge mod. So, I won't go any further with it.

The Faber bridge did a lot for the Classic Custom. It gave it better tone separation and sustain. It's made to very tight tolerances for better coupling of parts.

Good luck... Bence

The Faber products are very tempting.

I have to admit last time I was after a new bridge and tailpiece I took a close look at them.

Why didn't I buy It? Well, every time I grabbed my LPJ it just felt right and solid.

If it works for me, why take any risk.

But I have to say that I am still curious about it, maybe next time.

And seeing that there are so many Tonepros users here brings up one question.

I always wondered what are the Tonepros tailpiece bushings for?

I mean those that come packed with the tailpieces.

Their diameter is much smaller than the stock bushings used by Gibson.

Not that I care much, the studs fit perfectly into the stock ones but still......

Makes me wonder, because the bridge bushings are same diameter as the stock ones.msp_confused.gif

Archived