Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 To Buy or Not to Buy...

86general

Looking for opinions on the current, new production model ES-175s.

This is the style guitar I want...full hollow, compact body, two humbuckers.

I've looked at less expensive models similar to the 175 (like the Heritage 575s, various Korean guitars, Epiphone Elitist, etc.), and somehow I just think if I spend, say $1500 on a high quality epiphone or Peerless or Eastman, it'll be money foolishly spent.

On the other hand, there are the people saying "buy vintage." I don't like the idea of spending thousands for something all scratched and beaten up...but I don't rule it out.

So--

1. Are the new ES-175s good guitars, and do you think they're worth the price?

2. What is your opinion of used/vintage 175s?

3. Would you consider a 'knock off' like the epiphone or other far east made copies?

Thanks.

JPB

My suggestion is to try a few "new" ES-175s.

I wish I could tell you more, but it sounds like you've already tried some similar guitars.

Mine is a 1988 mahogany body 175. All of the new models are maple laminate. I've tried the Epiphone Elitis and thought it sounded thiner than mine.

Good luck in your decision.

Mine is a 1988 mahogany body 175. All of the new models are maple laminate. I've tried the Epiphone Elitis and thought it sounded thiner than mine.

I think 175s have been maple laminated tops since day 1 (not just the new ones' date=' although the flame top is new), which kinda makes the mahogany 175s oddballs ... and this would also make them sound different than your killer mahogany one.

Back OT, I agree that you should play as many hollow bodies as possible! I have a '73 175, a 135, & a 137 Custom... and I keep liking those little Ibanez hollowbodies with the Bigsbys more and more every time I see them... same for Gretsch 6122s. [i']Disregard the name brands[/i], just play as many as you can and decide which feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ears. Have fun on the quest!

I think 175s have been maple laminated tops since day 1 (not just the new ones' date=' although the flame top is new), which kinda makes the mahogany 175s oddballs ... and this would also make them sound different than your killer mahogany one.

Back OT, I agree that you should play as many hollow bodies as possible! I have a '73 175, a 135, & a 137 Custom... and I keep liking those little Ibanez hollowbodies with the Bigsbys more and more every time I see them... same for Gretsch 6122s. [i']Disregard the name brands[/i], just play as many as you can and decide which feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ears. Have fun on the quest!

How is the 137 Custom? Did you get yours with the neck plecked?

How does it sound? Isn't that the one with a veritone switch on it too?

...On the other hand' date=' there are the people saying "buy vintage." I don't like the idea of spending thousands for something all scratched and beaten up...but I don't rule it out.

So--

1. Are the new ES-175s good guitars, and do you think they're worth the price?

2. What is your opinion of used/vintage 175s?

3. Would you consider a 'knock off' like the epiphone or other far east made copies?

Thanks.

JPB[/quote']

Hi JPB,

There are great vintage 175s and not so great vintage 175s and there are great new/modern 175s and not so great new/modern 175s and there is what we know we don't know and.... so try lots of them and trust your ears and fingers oh and also your eyes; a 175 (old or new) should be well built and finished.

Going on past performance, you will pay more for a Gibson 175 but it will hold its value. It is a bit too early to tell with the Heritages, Eastmans, Epi Elitists etc.

On the other hand, there are a lot of reputable players who swear by non-Gibson equivalents. They can see good build quality, playability and tone and are happy to spend less upfront, have the guitar earn its money and then sell it for whatever the market dictates or just hold onto it.

RN

How is the 137 Custom? Did you get yours with the neck plecked?

How does it sound? Isn't that the one with a veritone switch on it too?

Sounds like a wet dream, has vari-tone, made in 2005 (pre-plek? I dunno). Only beef is that I wish it had a fat, round 50s neck like my 135! It's my Katrina trophy from Music Rising (Thanks Gibson, MF, and U2!!).

My take on ES-175:

The new one with flamed top are nice, and sound good. I tries a 1978 the other day and saw no big difference. This is a Jazz workhorse made out of plywood. I bought an Herb Ellis Aria 1978 and in my view is a much better guitar: better finish, better construcion and sound IMHO.

I also tries and Epi Broadway Elitist, which I think is discontinued; superb guitar, solid top and nice warm jazzy sound. If you find one, buy it. I will not retain it's value as well s a Gibson though. But it will beat the 175 for sound .

Vintage vs New: My Aria is 30 years old and it is true that after several years, a guitar sounds mellower , warmer. When the wood ages, it gets dryer and sounds less spiky. My Aria has a very sweet sound. I do not think that vintage are necesseraly best. A good new guitar will improve with time. A bad sounding instrument , even after 30 years, will sound awful. Has not much to do with price.

Archived