Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a great restorer!

George Moore

I have an original 1947 Gibson J-45, that was my father's. He played on the Grand Ole Opry with Marty Robbins & Benny Martin with this classic treasure, purchased in Nashville, where I was born. It was even scratched by the great Hank Williams himself, when he once played it. He gave it to a guitar repairman, to restore it to it's original condition, who messed it up pretty bad, but it is still pretty much intact. Does anyone know any great restorers of older original instruments?

Thank you, George Moore, Amelia, VA.

I have an original 1947 Gibson J-45' date=' that was my father's. He played on the Grand Ole Opry with Marty Robbins & Benny Martin with this classic treasure, purchased in Nashville, where I was born. It was even scratched by the great Hank Williams himself, when he once played it. He gave it to a guitar repairman, to restore it to it's original condition, who messed it up pretty bad, but it is still pretty much intact. Does anyone know any great restorers of older original instruments?

Thank you, George Moore, Amelia, VA.[/quote']

KSDADDY, who posts here, may show an interest. Though, taking it to orignal, like new condition will be a big job. Have you talked to Gibson? How much money are you willing to part with? How badly the the butcher muck things up?

First and fore most... got any pictures?

Wow! Thanks so much for all the help guys! I should have come here long ago!! I'll take a few pics and post them. It's not in too bad a shape...the sound quality was supurb the last time it was strung. I'll check these out and keep you all posted! Have a wonderful day full of music!!

GM

Hoo boy, where to begin.

George, what you have is a prize of a guitar, and worthy of the best treatment you can possibly give it. As in anything, there are two kinds of people, those who can do it )and often, do it well too), and a very few people who really know what their doing. In the latter category, which I assume is what your looking for (and if your not, please give me a call before you do anything and I''ll buy the guitar from you), here's some recommendations:

Contact George Gruhn of Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. George is THE most experienced vintage guitar dealer in America. Because he's dealt so long with so many valuable guitars, his shop has it's own in house repair facility. That facility is so good, some of the best repairmen in the country began their careers there. A few well known luthiers, such as John Greven, also got their start in Gruhn's repair shop. I don't know if Gruhn will repair guitars these days that their not dealing, but at teh very least George can give you some solid recommendations.

Personally, I would recommend Dennis Berck of Eugene, Oregon. He did a lot of work on my 1949 Southern Jumbo, including a neck set, refret, reglued braces, repaired the bridge plate, and more. The work is impeccable (you can't tell the neck was reset at all), and reasonably priced. And the guitar sounds amazing too. Dennis specializes in vintage instruments, and a visit to his shop (which I've done) is like going into vintage guitar heaven. Many collectors use him, and his reputation is such that he gets fine vintage guitars shipped to him from all over the world. He's not on everyone's radar, doesn't advertise, doesn't have much of a website, but anyone into vintage guitars knows him, or at least knows his name. He's that good. If your interested, let me know and I'll get you his phone number and email address.

Another recommendation is John Arnold. John is both a restorer of vintage instruments and a fine luthier in his own right. His reputation is similiar to Dennis Berck's, and a guy who, if he agrees to restore your guitar, you'd be fortunate. John lives and works in, if I recall correctly, North Carolina, so not that far from you. Heck of a nice guy too. Last, I'd also recommend TJ Thompson. Like John Arnold, TJ is both a builder of his own fine instruments (incredibly expensive) and a restorer of vintage guitars. If memory serves, TJ is in the northeast. I can give you contact information for any of these, just let me know. Personally, I would never send a good vintage guitar to anyone else, unless it were to Willie Henkes in Germany. The best in the world.

All of the names I've mentioned are in the category of people who really know what their doing, and do it better than pretty much everyone else. If you want to contact me, my email is denpurcell@sbcglobal.net.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't get the guitar refinished, and don't let anyone replace the bridge plate unless it's cracked and completely unuseable. .

Dennis

Dennis, is Dennis Berck the same guy that does the repair work for McKenzie River Music? If so, I met him one day when I was able to go upstairs and look at Bob November's vintage, not-for-sale, Gibsons. He was working away in a shop upstairs. Seemed like a great guy.

George-

I couldn't agree more with Dennis' recommendations- with the exception of the fellow in Oregon, I know of the other's reputations, and would urge you to contact one of them.

For starters, you probably don't want a blanket restoration/refinish. Ship it off to Gibson, or most places- and that's what you'll get. With the history that you alluded to, I would want the guitar repaired properly. But I'd always like to be able to see that Hank Williams pick mark!

George Gruhn, John Arnold, and TJ Thompson can appreciate the guitar's history and work 'around' it, so to speak. I also know of several people out here who do restoration for Jet City; they'd appreciate what you have as well. But if it was me, I'd rather keep this one close to home.

Man i finally came to the right place!! Thank you so much Dennis, you sure definately know your guitars! To my dismay, the refinishing is my biggest problem! =P~ When my dad sent it to be repaired, the guy, (who obviously didn't know crap from apple butter,) messed up the finish! So i would need that restored as well. I will e-mail you Dennis, as soon as I recouperate from my recent neck surgury, and am able get this guitar to a reputed luthier. Thanks again for all your support guys!!

Dennis' date=' is Dennis Berck the same guy that does the repair work for McKenzie River Music? If so, I met him one day when I was able to go upstairs and look at Bob November's vintage, not-for-sale, Gibsons. He was working away in a shop upstairs. Seemed like a great guy. [/quote']

No, Dennis Berck has his own shop. It's not a walk-in either, you only get to see him by appointment. He's got way more business than he can handle and he's really not interested in working on modern instruments or doing set-ups. Vintage restoration only. He also plays a vintage Martin in a Bluegrass band in Eugene, by the way, so who knows, you may have seen him. The guy at McKKenzie River is their in -house repair guy. I can't remember his name, but have seen him post on the UMGF (as does Dennis Berck, by the way). Seems like a nice guy, but not in the same league as Berck.

No' date=' Dennis Berck has his own shop. It's not a walk-in either, you only get to see him by appointment. He's got way more business than he can handle and he's really not interested in working on modern instruments or doing set-ups. Vintage restoration only. He also plays a vintage Martin in a Bluegrass band in Eugene, by the way, so who knows, you may have seen him. The guy at McKKenzie River is their in -house repair guy. I can't remember his name, but have seen him post on the UMGF (as does Dennis Berck, by the way). Seems like a nice guy, but not in the same league as Berck. [/quote']

Thanks Dennis. I wasn't actually looking for anyone, just curious. Bob did describe his guy as, "Gibson-trained."

Archived