Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 TV Top Wood

mking

I have a 2007 J-45TV and I was told by the folks at Gibson that was the last year for Sitka tops. I know there are a number of you out there who own more than one J-45. If any of you have one with a Sitka top and one with an Adi top, what are the differences in tone you have observed? Thanks.

Michael

My 2007J45-TV was Sitka topped. I like it better than Adi. Sitka is just a warm all-purpose spruce top... Adi tops can be stiff at first, but supposedly break in over time to this great mystical tone....

I never own my guitars long enough to witness that anyway. :)

I am trying to reform though...

I have an Adi topped Gibson knockoff that is quite good... But it's still stiff right now, where my new J45 Standard sounds like home right out of the box.

Big Adi fan here.

I have adi tops on several guitars that have turned out to be favorites. However, my Sitka topped guitars sound great, too. Just not the same, exactly.

To me, adi seems to provide some extra clarity and treble response. If you don't like that tonal charachteristic, I can easily see how one might describe sitka as potentially "warmer." On the other hand, I can easily see how adi fans might describe sitka as potentially less defined, less bold, or even quiter.

By the way, we're talking degrees of differences, not a wide gulf.

If I were buying sight unseen, and could choose between two similar adi and sitka topped guitars, I'd take the adi; I have preferred what I hear in my experience with adi tops. But, if I could audition them side by side, I'd let my ears and hands make the decision.

Red 333

Big Adi fan here.

I have adi tops on several guitars that have turned out to be favorites. However, my Sitka topped guitars sound great, too. Just not the same, exactly.

To me, adi seems to provide some extra clarity and treble response. If you don't like that tonal charachteristic, I can easily see how one might describe sitka as potentially "warmer." On the other hand, I can easily see how adi fans might describe sitka as potentially less defined, less bold, or even quiter.

By the way, we're talking degrees of differences, not a wide gulf.

If I were buying sight unseen, and could choose between two similar adi and sitka topped guitars, I'd take the adi; I have preferred what I hear in my experience with adi tops. But, if I could audition them side by side, I'd let my ears and hands make the decision.

Red 333

Red 333,

Good reply and what you observed with regard to the two tops is right on the money with what I've heard in the two. Thanks

My two Gibsons are Sitka topped and I'm glad they are as I agree with everything said so far about the difference between Adi and Sitka. My two Eastmans and my Guild Orpheum are Adirondack topped and they are just more powerful and have tons of headroom. I like them all for their differences. What would be the point of owning different guitars if they sounded the same? Being 62 years old I'd would advise anyone looking at Adi and Sitka to make the decision based on how long it will probably take to fully realize all the sonic potential of each. If you are 55 and older you might want to go the Sitka route. But that's tongue in cheek as I didn't follow my own advice and I'm happy as a clam with my lineup. Further, I think a custom built guitar by a guy that really knows how to voice a top would be the way to go with Adirondack if you seek instant gratification. I think Sitka is probably more forgiving, on a lot of fronts, in a modern mass produced guitar. Twelve years ago I figured that Adirondack was going to be beyond my financial reach and then Eastman came along. We truly live in the Golden Age of guitar making.

My two Gibsons are Sitka topped and I'm glad they are as I agree with everything said so far about the difference between Adi and Sitka. My two Eastmans and my Guild Orpheum are Adirondack topped and they are just more powerful and have tons of headroom. I like them all for their differences. What would be the point of owning different guitars if they sounded the same? Being 62 years old I'd would advise anyone looking at Adi and Sitka to make the decision based on how long it will probably take to fully realize all the sonic potential of each. If you are 55 and older you might want to go the Sitka route. But that's tongue in cheek as I didn't follow my own advice and I'm happy as a clam with my lineup. Further, I think a custom built guitar by a guy that really knows how to voice a top would be the way to go with Adirondack if you seek instant gratification. I think Sitka is probably more forgiving, on a lot of fronts, in a modern mass produced guitar. Twelve years ago I figured that Adirondack was going to be beyond my financial reach and then Eastman came along. We truly live in the Golden Age of guitar making.

Amen...

Adi, Sitka, Sitka

IMG_3201_zpsbf4nfvwr.jpg

Archived