Gibson Brands Forums

Columbus Hummingbird

Dodger11

Anyone seen or played the knock-off Japanese Columbus Hummingbird copies? Think these were around the same time as the Ibanez, Aria and other Japanese makes in the early 70s. A fella near me is selling one...I'm impressed by my Terada J200 knock-off especially since I put on the Gibson Masterbuilt strings that Red recommended. Sorry this isn't an Epiphone question but it's close...

Never heard of them until about 45 minutes ago. Did a quick search out of curiosity (which I'm sure you did too), saw a Scottish guy playing one on YouTube and there seems to be a lot of love from the few people who actually own one.

I suppose it depends on what you want, does a Hummingbird appeal to you? Depending on the asking price and condition, plus sound and playability, it's probably worth a look.

They were built in the Fujigen Gakki factory along side Ibanez. More than likely a laminate top and body. Despite this, assuming it is a re-badged Ibanez, their Gibson knock offs in the 1970s such as the Concord are considered some of the better examples out there. If nothing else, it is hard to imagine these MIJ guitars sounding any worse than 1970s Gibsons.

Thanks fellas

just curious - like IR I did a net search and saw that Scottish fella on youtube - he seemed to love his!

The Terada J200 that my mate found on a dump sounds great - hard to tell if the top is solid but it sounds better than any EJ200 I've tried - maybe because it's so old

The Hummingbird needs new strings so I think it's buyer beware - can't really hear what it sounds like with the strings it has on it.

I'd probably be better getting an Epi Hummingbird Pro for a little more

here's a link to the sale:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/classic-acoustic-guitar/1146708022

Dodger

Columbus guitars were very common in the 70s. Mostly electrics as has been said. Poor man's lookalike really. No doubt all laminate. But with a pickup! Well that would be another story. As far as I recall they were well made. The sound of the one in the youtube vid is a tad rattley when strummed hard. What would you do with it? And can you live without it? .

Got GAS? Go Thomann and look at Harley Benton. If you don't like what you bought you can send it back.

Hoho - I'm never off Thomann - might have to try that CLD-41SE that they have - this is the wrong forum but from the youtube review and a clip on soundcloud it sounds amazing for the price. If you have a minute listen to this:

sounds like a Martin to me! It's a rip-off of the Martin D41 and for me it doesn't sound like a £200 guitar...

Archived