Gibson Brands Forums

Effects

Roach

No , they change the sound a bit to a lot, but you are still in there, you are the key to the sound

if you want to sound like anything from just a distorted guitar, to a violin to a voice to an airplane,, you're in control.. do I like Steve Vai's playing or Jeff Beck's not really ,, give me Joe Bonamassa any day over them

don't get me wrong Vai and Beck are great players.. just not my cup of tea.

The RP-50 is an older low-end digitech unit, I have one, I should have sold it before it was worth close to nothing.

They're not the best sounding effect in the world. Plus each number has a multiple of effects on at the same time. Trying to custom the patches to sound half decent is too much time.

Get yourself 3 things

1- wah

2- distortion pedal

Stay away from low end makes (Behringer & Danelectro are just two names in the low-end pedal game)

3- Webber Minimas attenuator to reduce the volume coming out of the speaker, so you et the amp at the good sound level

http://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/attenuators

The RP50 will not get you there, it's sounds are not good from int in my opinion.

Now if you talking a Axe Fx rack processor totally different story

http://www.fractalaudio.com/

But an rp50 won't even come close to what's in your head

+1 on the Mini Mass

Do effects processors like a digitech multi effects stomp box, (rp50), actually take away everything that the guitar itself is made to do? I mean does it defeat the purpose of actually owning the guitar that these things are attempting to emulate? I guess what im asking is, after buying this awesome 2016 LP studio am i just preventing it from doing what it is made to do by processing the signal in such a way? I wonder if using such a box, am i even hearing my guitar anymore?

I am new to effects, but it seems like what i am really looking for is a marshall stack, or at least that sort of tone/sound at bedroom wanker volume tho. I guess everyone struggles with finding the tone they want eh. I was a drummer, i just banged on the drum...lol it was easier...

The answer is "sometimes."

I don't own the rp50 so I won't comment on it, however, some amps and processors have their own sound and can mask the sound of your guitar. Early modelers were terrible about this, as were high gain settings on some amplifiers. I'd try different guitars and they'd sound exactly the same though some modelers (some models on the POD 2.0 and XTL were horrible about this). Yet the same guitars would sound very different through my amp.

Your guitar is in there, but some gear will mask it more than other gear. It really depends on what you are using and how you set it.

That said, a great point was made earlier. A crappy amp is going to produce crappy tone, even if you run a nice guitar through it. I too found myself using less effects after upgrading my amp.

I do not know exactly when this shifted to the amp. I did mention i was thinking of getting a new one, till i started looking at prices, holy wallet! I have found that there is nothing wrong with the little amp i have, aside from the fact there is a point between too loud and not loud enough that does not exist, but it sounds actually kinda great. After it makes that jump and only because I am not in a place to get too loud. My original question was based on my feeling like the effects (RP50), seem to be turning this nice guitar into an rp50 and taking away all that makes gibson a gibson...like their humbuckers. Since starting this thread i mostly bypass the rp50 other than a few things, messing around with a lil chorus or something

Archived