Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Deluxe tuners instead of Wilkinson Deluxe?

Orionator

Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum. I'll make it quick and get right to it:

I recently bought an Epiphone G400 PRO that was advertised to have Wilkinson Vintage tuners. As you can see from the pictures, the tuners say Wilkinson Deluxe on the back. Now, when I received my guitar, I noticed that the back of my tuners said "Epiphone" Deluxe (image attached).

I contacted Gibson support (and what a pain that was), and I was told that sometimes legitimate brands (such as Wilkinson) will "re-brand" their products when making them for specific instruments.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Everything else on the guitar is near-perfect. Aside from some high frets, the guitar plays really, really well and sounds amazing.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Pictures of the new ax were requested, so here they are :).

Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum. I'll make it quick and get right to it:

I recently bought an Epiphone G400 PRO that was advertised to have Wilkinson Vintage tuners. As you can see from the pictures, the tuners say Wilkinson Deluxe on the back. Now, when I received my guitar, I noticed that the back of my tuners said "Epiphone" Deluxe (image attached).

I contacted Gibson support (and what a pain that was), and I was told that sometimes legitimate brands (such as Wilkinson) will "re-brand" their products when making them for specific instruments.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Everything else on the guitar is near-perfect. Aside from some high frets, the guitar plays really, really well and sounds amazing.

Thanks! :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Epiphone is always changing details like this (most of the time to stamp Epiphone on it). chances are they will all have the Epiphone Deluxe tuners here forward.

It's very possible the tuners are the same exact tuners, but just branded differently.

I don't know what the "Wilkinson tuners" are that are "supposed" to be on that guitar, but it's kinda doubtful that for 350 bucks, they are as upscale as the name might lead one to believe. They look like standard "Kluson Deluxe" tuners made and branded by nearly everyone. (Kluson is no longer in business).

Photos might be helpful?! [tongue]

CB

Yes - I want to see pics, too! [love][biggrin]

It happened very often over the years that OEM manufacturers supplied parts manufacturer-branded and customer-branded as well. There often have been Grovers and Schallers saying Gibson or Fender, so why not Wilkinsons saying Epiphone? It's all good. But wait - we want to see PICS of your new Epiphone!!! [drool][smile]

I followed the link provided, and the Wilkinson Deluxe do in fact appear to look identical to every other Kluson Deluxe tuner, save for the writing on the back.

I (initially) miss that link, somehow. [blush] But, those in the photo look amazingly

like the OLD Klusons, in that the front and back edges are slightly rounded, as

they were back then. Cool!

Seems like they old ones had double ringed keys, but they probably came

with double and single ringed models? I know the stock Klusons on my

1976 Gibson LP Deluxe, and my 1954 Gibson J-160E both had/have the double

ringed key buttons.

CB

I (initially) miss that link, somehow. [blush] But, those in the photo look amazingly like the OLD Kluson's, in that

the front and back edges are rounded, as they were back then. Cool!

CB

I had seen the link, but I thought it doesn't count in topics about NGDs. That made me wanting pics of the actual guitar - I thought this was your intention, too. [rolleyes] Pics of the REAL thing, that is! [biggrin]

I had seen the link, but I thought it doesn't count in topics about NGDs. That made me wanting pics of the actual guitar - I thought this was your intention, too. [rolleyes] Pics of the REAL thing, that is! [biggrin]

Well, of course, Cap! [biggrin] We always like photos of the actual guitar in question,

as opposed to the stock ad photos, or sales site photos. I guess I just whizzed through

the body of copy, initially, and didn't notice the underlined link.

CB

I (initially) miss that link, somehow. [blush] But, those in the photo look amazingly

like the OLD Klusons, in that the front and back edges are slightly rounded, as

they were back then. Cool!

Seems like they old ones had double ringed keys, but they probably came

with double and single ringed models? I know the stock Klusons on my

1976 Gibson LP Deluxe, and my 1954 Gibson J-160E both had/have the double

ringed key buttons.

CB

That there, is an eye for detail.

The ORIGINAL Klusons, did come in both double and single ring on the key. In fact, it used to be the case, before reproductions were available, that the single ring were very rare as that is what the the oldest Gibsons used to have, and of corse, as you know, they tend to deteriorate. Gibson switched from single to double ring sometime in the 60's. Something like that, anyway.

These days, or corse, you can get anything, different looks, different quality. I can't keep up.

That there, is an eye for detail.

The ORIGINAL Klusons, did come in both double and single ring on the key. In fact, it used to be the case, before reproductions were available, that the single ring were very rare as that is what the the oldest Gibsons used to have, and of corse, as you know, they tend to deteriorate. Gibson switched from single to double ring sometime in the 60's. Something like that, anyway.

These days, of course, you can get anything, different looks, different quality. I can't keep up.

I hear THAT! Amazing diversity of choices! It sometimes makes it difficult to even make a decision,

with that much choice! LOL

CB

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I love how active this community is . I'm in mobile and at work right now, but I'll definitely have some pictures up when I get back home later today. She's a beauty :).

Edit: Alright, pictures were added to the OP. Those are probably the best pictures I've taken of the guitar so far. It's a very promising instrument. It provides a wide range of tones thanks to the coil-splitting, and helps achieve tones for many different styles of music. In

that I made, I'm using the bridge humbucker both tapped and untapped. I've never owned a guitar with single coils, so this one allows me to achieve tones that I've been trying to "mimic" for ages, but couldn't do so with just humbuckers. Overall I'm really happy with it and I can't wait to get some fret work done on it :).

• 4 years later...