Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Gibson SJ -200 review

PinoyGibson

Sounds real warm and sweet, how a J-200 should sound like. Sounds well broken in which if its a 2012 would have had a few years to get into her favourite pair of jeans, and its reflected in the tone.

That sounds like a keeper to me, enjoy.

Nice guitar! I basically have the same exact one, same year and all with the Aura Elipse. What do you think of the Aura lLipse? I 'm on the fence about it. I actually used to have a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and was using that with the LR Baggs Element and got rid of both the Element and the Aura Spectrum DI pedal! Didn't like either, but the Elipse sounds halfway decent in the SJ200. The only problem I have with the Aura Spectrum Imaging stuff is I'm finding that it just makes whatever guitar it's in sort of sound the same, regardless of the image used. Sure each image has it's own character, but it still has 'that' Aura sound, kind of lie the way Fishman amps have their own processed tone in my opinion. I just got the guitar about a week ago and will most likely just keep the Aura Elipse int eh guitar since it is usable, just needs some tweaking, and my other acoustics all have LR Baggs Lyric pickups in them and this is just a way to mix it up and have some variety and an option thats pretty feedback proof if I ever did play with a full band again. Only difference I can tell between your guitar and mine is the truss rod cover, as mine says 'Standard' on it. Mine sounds very similar to yours as well. It's funny, it is a 'big' sounding guitar, but not monstrous or overwhelming to the point where it drowns everything else out and I can sing while playing git and it doesn't really 'get in the way' like my D-28 does sometimes when I sing along while playing it. Has a very clear sound, amazing note separation and clarity, but still fairly full and rich, but really shines when you hit that low E string hard! Not muddy at all, just very prominent, full and clear! Really love this guitar and it really has carved out it's own distinct spot between my J45 and D-28! I picked mine up fairly cheap because it had sustained a broken neck but the seller had it professionally repaired. HE had it shipped to him and the seller never de-tuned the guitar and said when he opened the box the neck was snapped! He was selling it to fund a D-28. Really, aside from the crack there is absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar, and looked like it never had a proper setup. The nut has never been filed or adjusted properly and when I pulled the saddle out if had a plastic shim glued to it. I popped off that shim, and didn't even have to sand down the saddle and now have th action down to where I like it. I usually like a bit of relief in my necks and can be a heavy handed strummer and picker, but this guitar just seems to like an almost dead straight neck and still won't buzz. Neck angle is perfect too. It also has some crazy flame on the neck! I was trying to find out what else might be wrong with the guitar besides the neck repair, but couldn't! It's a keeper for sure. Enjoy yours in good health!

IMG_3746_zpsxfdzl31n.jpg

Nice guitar! I basically have the same exact one, same year and all with the Aura Elipse. What do you think of the Aura lLipse? I 'm on the fence about it. I actually used to have a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and was using that with the LR Baggs Element and got rid of both the Element and the Aura Spectrum DI pedal! Didn't like either, but the Elipse sounds halfway decent in the SJ200. The only problem I have with the Aura Spectrum Imaging stuff is I'm finding that it just makes whatever guitar it's in sort of sound the same, regardless of the image used. Sure each image has it's own character, but it still has 'that' Aura sound, kind of lie the way Fishman amps have their own processed tone in my opinion. I just got the guitar about a week ago and will most likely just keep the Aura Elipse int eh guitar since it is usable, just needs some tweaking, and my other acoustics all have LR Baggs Lyric pickups in them and this is just a way to mix it up and have some variety and an option thats pretty feedback proof if I ever did play with a full band again. Only difference I can tell between your guitar and mine is the truss rod cover, as mine says 'Standard' on it. Mine sounds very similar to yours as well. It's funny, it is a 'big' sounding guitar, but not monstrous or overwhelming to the point where it drowns everything else out and I can sing while playing git and it doesn't really 'get in the way' like my D-28 does sometimes when I sing along while playing it. Has a very clear sound, amazing note separation and clarity, but still fairly full and rich, but really shines when you hit that low E string hard! Not muddy at all, just very prominent, full and clear! Really love this guitar and it really has carved out it's own distinct spot between my J45 and D-28! I picked mine up fairly cheap because it had sustained a broken neck but the seller had it professionally repaired. HE had it shipped to him and the seller never de-tuned the guitar and said when he opened the box the neck was snapped! He was selling it to fund a D-28. Really, aside from the crack there is absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar, and looked like it never had a proper setup. The nut has never been filed or adjusted properly and when I pulled the saddle out if had a plastic shim glued to it. I popped off that shim, and didn't even have to sand down the saddle and now have th action down to where I like it. I usually like a bit of relief in my necks and can be a heavy handed strummer and picker, but this guitar just seems to like an almost dead straight neck and still won't buzz. Neck angle is perfect too. It also has some crazy flame on the neck! I was trying to find out what else might be wrong with the guitar besides the neck repair, but couldn't! It's a keeper for sure. Enjoy yours in good health!

IMG_3746_zpsxfdzl31n.jpg

Hey, nice Gibby you got there! I'm not that sold on the fishman ellipse aura myself, It doesn't sound natural to me for some reason. [smile]

Hey, nice Gibby you got there! I'm not that sold on the fishman ellipse aura myself, It doesn't sound natural to me for some reason. [smile]

I don't think any of the imaging stuff sounds very natural to my ear, although it's an improvement on an unprocessed UST, as I mentioned I just think it gives the guitar a very generic sound and sounds nothing like the actual guitar itself. I have LR Baggs Lyrics in all my other acoustics and love the Lyric. Many have commented on the Lyric sounding weak and thin, but I have experienced the exact opposite int he three guitars I have installed the lyric in. Really sounds exactly like the guitar does unplugged. Maybe down the line I'll give the SJ the same treatment.

I don't think any of the imaging stuff sounds very natural to my ear, although it's an improvement on an unprocessed UST, as I mentioned I just think it gives the guitar a very generic sound and sounds nothing like the actual guitar itself. I have LR Baggs Lyrics in all my other acoustics and love the Lyric. Many have commented on the Lyric sounding weak and thin, but I have experienced the exact opposite int he three guitars I have installed the lyric in. Really sounds exactly like the guitar does unplugged. Maybe down the line I'll give the SJ the same treatment.

Yeah I agree, I like the LR Baggs Lyric myself better than the fishman ellipse aura IMHO. It just sounds more natural to me and warm.

Archived