Gibson Brands Forums

Lollar pickups for Firebird

Shaker

I have been looking around to see what I can do to change/improve my '95 Firebird V bridge pickup tone for sometime. I have come to the conclusion that replacing it with a different pickup is the way to go. After hearing some sound samples from different websites, I like Lollar Firebird minihumbuckers now. I will probably end up replacing both the neck and the bridge pickups. I would like to know if anybody out there are using these Lollar pickups (they are not inexpensive). Harmony Central has two reviews about them, which are positive. Thanks!

Do you know what you are going for tone wise? The samples may be misleading due to amp settings and different nuances in the actual guitar. Try raising and lowering your existing pickups if you want to try some different tone. The minor difference in one thing can lead to a big difference. Also play with your amp settings and listen carefully because good tone is all about dialing the amp with your ears and not the numbers.

Do you know what you are going for tone wise? The samples may be misleading due to amp settings and different nuances in the actual guitar. Try raising and lowering your existing pickups if you want to try some different tone. The minor difference in one thing can lead to a big difference. Also play with your amp settings and listen carefully because good tone is all about dialing the amp with your ears and not the numbers.

Thanks. I think I will tweak more before spending any money. I will do this systematically this time around, maybe with a pen a notepad and a ruler.

Shaker,

What is lacking in your current firebird pickups, and what kind of tone are you going for? Can you tell us what amp you are using? String guage?

Hopefully we can help you use what you have to get the tones you are looking for. Also, would you happen to have any audio clips for us to hear your Firebird?

Can't honestly say anything about the Lollars but

back in the 80s, I replaced my orig. bridge mini-hum

with a Seymour/Duncan.

2 Regrets.

One, I never cared for the S/D logo on the cover.

Two, I've never found the orig.PU after I "stashed it away".

HGD, That '65 Firebird V-12 is comin' back home from the shop tomorrow!

Vin

I've tried Lollars on someone else's 'bird, and they are very, very good. BUT, I don't think they'll give you anything you can't get from an original Gibson that you've adjusted to your tastes. If you find the bridge pickup a little harsh and dry, try lowering it. You may have to compensate with the volume controls, but especially with high output recent mini-humbuckers, you should be able to get a decent balance in output between the neck and bridge.

Mini-hums in the bridge position are tricky-most pickups do wind up sounding a little harsh and metallic there, and after trying just about everything out there, SD, KA, Lollar, asian off-brands, I've come to the conclusion there's nothing wrong with a stock Gibson, it's just that mini-hums aren't necessarily the best bridge pups if you want a round fat sound. The neck pup has one of the greatest, sweetest blues sounds you can find, and the bridge can be blended in for a little more definition and treble-so I guess if you want a Les Paul sound, or a P-90 sound, there are other guitars around for that, or you can bite the bullet and re-rout your Firebird, but I'm not sure you'll find a mini-hum that will let you switch to a Les Paul sound at the flick of a switch.

Hey Vin,

You've had some work done on your V-12? I hope you find that lost pick-up! don't give up!

What kind of SD did you put in your 'bird? I've currently got an SM3 in the middle of my VII. Luckily I was able to get one with an aged gold cover without the Duncan logo on it.

Oringo, great to hear from you (of course it's actually my own fault as I haven't been to the forum in quite a while.)

How are things "across the pond"?

The shop was actually the "pawn" shop.

The new year continues to be pretty lean (as far as design work), and any one of the guitars can "go out & pay

some bills", if need be.

I've been very blessed though in that I've never "lost one" to the shop.

As far as that SDmini, I can't recall the model but will be changing strings soon & will take a peek to get info to you.

Hows the EPIBird?

What's the latest?

Since we've talked, the wife got me a beautiful 2000 EPI Emperor II Joe Pass in vintage sunburst/ gold hrdwre.

I'm waiting now for a TruArc Copper bridge to arrive. It will be a great upgrade from the orig.ebony.

The only other "mod" will be a GFS mean90 to go in the neck position.

Still sniffin' around for an EPI "bird"...someday (and there's no question- she'll be outfitted w/minis!)

Hey Vin,

Glad to hear the V-12's coming home.

I hope things start turning around for everyone back in the States. The economy's slowed down here, but it doesn't seem like things are quite as bad over here, at least not yet.

My MIJ Firebird is still the no.1 go-to guitar in the house, always on the stand ready to go. Whenever my keyboard playing son wants to jam, and I reach for one of the other guitars, he always says, "no, play the Firebird, it sounds the best!" I finished restoring the 1966 Firebird 7, and it sounds great, but I have to admit it stays in its case in my recording studio, not on the multi stands in my sons' bedrooms! I did pick up another MIJ guitar, an early '80's Jap '57 Strat, and I'm constantly blown away by how good Japanese build quality can be. Nothing like those old Teisco's we played in the '70s!

If you're looking, the Japanese 'bird isn't labeled as an Epi, but as an "Orville by Gibson," a label Gibson made up for the japanese market before they created the Epiphone Elitist line for exporting to the US. They come up on Ebay for 5-700$ or so and they came with Gibson mini-humbuckers, lower output like the Bicentennial-era Firebirds, not the high output ceramics you find on later US-made 'birds.

The best Epi' birds I've heard of (but haven't tried one, yet) are the first generation Korean made ones, which I understand had genuine through necks. Someone else might know more about those.

Back on the pickup subject of Shaker, if you've got the time and soldering experience, you might want to try one of thoses el-cheapo "Diesel" mini-humbuckers you can get on Ebay for $15. I got one just to cannabalize the gold cover, but soldered it into one of my Firebirds in the bridge position just to see how it sounds. In the end, I've left it there, because it sounds more like a full-size humbucker, a little fuzzy and less distinct than a "good" mini-humbucker. For $15.00 and a few minutes of soldering, you're not taking much of a risk.

I thank everybody for the suggestions. I tweaked a bit more. Meanwhile, I purchased a new low wattage tube amplifier and with this amplifier, my FB sounds good. The end result (at the moment) is that I have decided to keep the stock pickups. Thanks, everybody.

I would give a Dimarzio Tone Zone a try, I love em, great mids, tonal range is excellent, bass is thick. best after-market PUP in my opinion. Might want to try a Dimarzio DLX Pro, nice PUP but not as powerful as the Tone Zone but good for neck pos.

Archived