Gibson Brands Forums

Why Gibson?

Guitarooster52

Gibson tone is unto itself- there's nothing that really sounds like them.

I like the necks, the scale length, nut width, profile etc.

And they do a great sunburst

So my J-185 TV sunburst really suits me.

If they were car companies

Gibson would be Chevy

Martin Would be Ford

Guild would be Chrysler.

I've owned'em all and prefer the American brands.

I play Gibson because I've played, with a few exceptions, everything else out there and nothing else allows me to get to 'my tone' in the way my Gibsons do. Martin are nice but a bit too plummy, Guild are great but, with the exception of their Parlours and 12s are a bit TOO huge sounding, Collings are lovely but a bit too perfect, Taylor are a bit too bright and plain looking, Huss & Dalton are a bit too delicate and finessed, and so on...my Gibsons fit in my left hand like an extension of my arm, sit in my lap like the friendliest old family cat, and they let me sound like ME. After 11 years of gigging, touring and making records, I know what I want and what I need, and it is Gibson.

I really, truly believe that only a Gibson is good enough. For me, at least.

For further reference on my feelings about Gibson, listen to Guy Clark's 'Stuff That Works'.

WHY.....?

I've had 50 some acoustics in my lifetime....(I currently own a 2004 custom Martin, 2006 Gibson Vintage J-45 and a 2002 Charles Fox...obsessed possibly) None are quite as sweet playing or toneful as my mahogany J45! It simply does everything well....

It is extremely stunning to look at and plays like a 25 year old. :-k

Gibson's/Martins/Guilds/Lo Prinzi's/Ovations/Fox/Gallagher/Gibson/Dion /Fenders/Shanti's/Yamaha/Taylor's/Alvarez Yari...and some others I've had over the years...

Why Not?

I have played Gibson acoustics for well over 40 years. First stumbled across them when I went into my favorite little Mom & Pop music store to check out something or the other they had gotten in . A glimpse of burst sitting in the corner caught my eye. I did not walk out with what I came to look at but I did leave with a script logo LG-2.

I am just real comfortable with them. I know what to expect and they match the sound I have in my head for what I play. Plus, is there anything better than that Gibson burst?

Owned an Adamas first but somehow it lacked something. Played a few Taylors and Martins at shops but didn't give me the "orgasmic" feeling.

Then one day I popped into my guitar shop and played a Custom Historic J-200 and I couldn't put it down. Spent the whole week thinking about it and bought it the week after. Sold my Adamas.

A year later, I saw this really sweet full bodied KOA Taylor and liked it but then I compared it with a Hummingbird. It was then that I realized why it's called a hummingbird. Not only did it sound nicer but way cheaper.

For me, gibson is a part of of the music I love as much as the musicians themselves. I play one, because it feels right, not because it looks or sounds better than the martins or taylors I've played. They have soul (some of them anyway) and a heritage which fits right in with my musical ideology. Having said all that, I also play a £60 jim deacon dreadnought, and that's really seen me through some tough times, and also sounds great.

I don't have either the inventory or long history of owning a Gibson (yet) as many of you do. I'm a hack player just getting back into playing after many years of not. The sound of the first Gibson I heard long ago has stayed with me over the years. Until recently I haven't been able to afford to get one (let's hear it for an empty nest!). I am now owned by a Hummingbird Artist that needed a trip to a luthier after I bought it. It was set up beautifully, feels good, and she isn't just pretty now, she can sing. I don't think any other brand is going to satisfy me like Gibson. BTW, I appreciate reading the posts on this board from so many learned Gibson owners.

I don't have either the inventory or long history of owning a Gibson (yet) as many of you do. I'm a hack player.

That makes two of us :- Luke. I started with an Epiphone Masterbilt. Nice guitar. My clumsy fingers just kept muting strings. I then tried a Finger Style Masterbilt with 1 3/4" Nut. Nice string spacing but just a bit too wide. I then tried a Gibson with their 1.72" string spacing, felt just right. I guess you could call it the "Goldilocks Principle". Everything else that comes with Gibsons is just icing on the cake.

Rob

"because he did.." Probably true for a lot of us (tho "he' could as easily be John/Paul, Keef, Rev. Gary, Hank, Lester etc), and, having found one, found out that indeed was the ticket.

I think folks who have stuck with Gibsons respond to both the feel (easy playing necks) and tone (glassy top thick mids thumpy bass). We are probably arent put off by the short of meticulous finishing and little variations within model types (we call it character). Gibson always aimed at popular markets (mando orchestras, jazz bands etc) so no surprise they found home in folk and rock as well.

Martins, to generalize, are tighter & brighter, consistent and clean. Martin's formative market was more upscale (classical/parlor). Folk was kind of an afterthought, but turned out to work just fine for Les Flatt, Doc Watson, Bill Broonzy, Brownie McGee..

I just want to say Thanks to everyone who contributed their reasons, and opinions. I really enjoyed reading every one of them. Lots of reasons, all valid for each individual.

My take away from this is that it is a personal connection be it "feel", "tone", "personal history" or historic significance.

I don't own a Gibson acoustic, and I'm not sure I will. I know that my two Gibson electrics were chosen on the basis of feel, tone, and yeah...dad played a Gibson so I guess that played some part. I'll keep checking them out as well as other brands, and maybe I'll make the connection to another acoustic at some point. In the interim I'll keep playing the Larrivee I bought before I had any idea of what works for me. It sounds absolutely beautiful, looks very plain, and I like to think that some day I'll find a neck that fits me better. So far Gibsons suit me the best, so there's a fair chance there's a Gibson acoustic waiting for me out there.

Thanks again!

I already posted a reply on why I chose my Gibson, but after reading everyone else's responses, I think it's safe to say that our guitars chose us. Something drew us towards our repective guitar((s) for you fortunate folks) and whatever that something was, it didn't let us go. That's why we are all still playing gibsons and are damn proud of it.

... that almost felt like I should be raising a glass in a toast.

I already posted a reply on why I chose my Gibson' date=' but after reading everyone else's responses, I think it's safe to say that our guitars chose us. Something drew us towards our repective guitar((s) for you fortunate folks) and whatever that something was, it didn't let us go. That's why we are all still playing gibsons and are damn proud of it.

... that almost felt like I should be raising a glass in a toast.[/quote']

I'll go along with that. I have to MAKE myself put it away and go to bed. I get up at 5am, and I just don't want to stop playing. every tone is so clear, crisp, rings like a bell, purrs. tonight I spent 1 hour playing In My Life over and over (also helped because I found the right key for my voice.. capo fret 3!) but I just couldn't stop making those sounds. It's a beautiful thing... and for me it is all because of the Gibson that chose me.

If they were car companies

Gibson would be Chevy

Martin Would be Ford

Guild would be Chrysler.

Hmmm, I sort of think Gibson would be Ford and Martin would be Saab.....(I can't think of an American car to compare it to)

I like my new Gibson LG-2 for the cool simple vintage look, the short scale, the neck width, the gorgeous sunburst, and the fact that it sounds different than my Martin.

Archived