Gibson Brands Forums

no case or coil tap on new SG Standards?????

Country-Rocker

Hi, Anyone know why there isn't a coil tap on the 2016 SG Standards and why no hardshell case included in price. I was tempted to get a new ebony Sg Standard or p-90 ebony Standard, but forget it now. The person running Gibson needs to wake up before it is too late.

Freddie

The cost of nice hard shell cases has gotten completely out of control and Gibson is trying to keep the cost of their guitars at a price point where the average Joe musician can afford to buy one or two new guitars every year. :^o

Regardless of what the net says or the "catalog", if you want a case with your guitar, get it. There is no reason whatever dealer you buy from would not be able to do that.

I also suspect, there are more "dealer exclusives" out there that have coil-taps for the humbucker equipped SG's that aren't on the Gibson website. Again, ask the dealer you might buy from.

Personally though, and this is just me: I don't like coil taps, I prefer the sound of a humbucker turned down on the volume than the sound of one of the coils. And from the few experiments/re-wires I have done on Gibsons, I think the coax wire used adds something to the "Gibson sound" that the phone-wire used for coil-tapped pups don't.

But above all, PLAY SOME. Buy the one that works well based on what you feel and hear.

Regardless of what the net says or the "catalog", if you want a case with your guitar, get it. There is no reason whatever dealer you buy from would not be able to do that.

I also suspect, there are more "dealer exclusives" out there that have coil-taps for the humbucker equipped SG's that aren't on the Gibson website. Again, ask the dealer you might buy from.

Personally though, and this is just me: I don't like coil taps, I prefer the sound of a humbucker turned down on the volume than the sound of one of the coils. And from the few experiments/re-wires I have done on Gibsons, I think the coax wire used adds something to the "Gibson sound" that the phone-wire used for coil-tapped pups don't.

But above all, PLAY SOME. Buy the one that works well based on what you feel and hear.

Interesting take on everything covered here. I agree about the case.

It would be nice at least to have the option of a coil tap/split.

I had no idea the coil wire was different, or that it can sound different.

I personally do like coil taps and I use the tapped option more than the full humbucker.

I also have a couple of guitars with 59 classics, one of which is has the coil toggle (LP), and one without (339). There is a difference in sound due to the different models but perhaps also due to the pickup?

Interesting take on everything covered here. I agree about the case.

It would be nice at least to have the option of a coil tap/split.

I had no idea the coil wire was different, or that it can sound different.

I personally do like coil taps and I use the tapped option more than the full humbucker.

I also have a couple of guitars with 59 classics, one of which is has the coil toggle (LP), and one without (339). There is a difference in sound due to the different models but perhaps also due to the pickup?

I meant the wire to the pup, not the coil wire itself. Pups are relatively the same.

Might be a useful experiment to compare the sound of the humbucker turned down to the sound of the "split" humbucker.

Anyway, different humbuckers DO sound different from each other split. Some better than others. I don't know if Gibson does it, but many humbuckers engineered to sound good with one coil are often a compromise in the sound of the humbucker sound. As you can imagine, designing and judging a pup with two coils together is usually judged based on just that, but when care is taken to make a single coil, or half a humbucker sound it's best, doesn't always equate to two good sounding single coils sounding good together.

Archived