Gibson Brands Forums

I got my new SG!

xbouncer

I just bought a used Gibson SG Special in the Cherry finish (NOT the faded model) for $250 us dollars!

I'm real excited, however, the only issues (And why I got it so cheap)

Is the G String tuning peg housing on the back broke off and the tuning machine is basically useless.

It also needs a setup.

I'll get some pics asap!:D/

That's an awesome deal. The tuners are an easy and relatively inexpensive replacement, so even if you bought super nice ones you're still spending far less that what most people spend on the Faded. Good score!

H-bomb

I really wouldn't suggest the Gibson tuners.

Some people go for all Gibson but when it comes to tuners Gibson always seems to be lacking. I have those on my Gibson SG Standard and I have a lot of trouble with the G and B strings. I suggest you go for locking tuners or at least a real nice set from Grover.

Grover does make them I believe, but I personally love the Tone Pros Kluson tuners. They make a locking version that would be a direct drop-in replacement (get the ones with the 25/64" diameter holes and the bolt/screw-front bushings), have the same type external casings as the Gibson Deluxe tuners, same plastic keys, but superior innards and better performance. They're the best tuners out there for Gibsons, aside from the old-school Grover Rotomatics (which have the metal buttons and you don't like them). I'm actually thinking about ordering a set of them for my Historic Standard, which has the larger bolt-bushing tuners like yours instead of the press-in bushing old-school tuners.

H-Bomb

Hi!

Good deal. Congrats! And those Gibson tuners you ordered are not bad. I never had any trouble with them on my guitars. If one of my Gibsons went out of tune it was almost always the nut. And the problem went after reworking the slots. If the guitar really goes out of tune after installing the new machines check the nut first. But I wouldn´t replace the original tuners unless it´s really for sure that they cause problems.

Kurt

Archived