Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 strap button installation.....help!

gtman

I have had my J-45 for about 6 months now and have grown tired of having the strap tied on above the nut, not the most convenient. So I am considering having a strap button installed to solve the problem. My buddy had it done to his J-45 with no problems and I am strongly considering taking mine in as well. Before I do though I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on placemen, positive results/stories, negative feedback. Let me know, any help would be great. Thanks!

An experienced technician can help you with placement. Never do this install yourself - they have insurance if something goes wrong.

There is a tendency to place the button on the exact middle of the heel where Gibson heels are nice and flat, but this does not help the guitar hang as well as placing the button more toward the lower bout. This is something to mention to the tech.

Also, make sure a piece of felt is installed under the button and make sure the button is metal (I like brass, but aluminum is fine too) rather than plastic. A plastic button can crack quite easily.

I agree with everything Ballcorner just said... I don't like the unbalanced feel at the end of a guitar heel either, nor do I like a strap with a wrap around the headstock as that doesn't feel natural to me. I had a strap button installed on my Gibson AJ and they put it the same place Taylor does on all their guitars... bottom of the neck heel on the treble side of the neck.

Here is a shot of one in that location.. not my guitar but you get the idea. My favorite luthier/tech at the Podium music store in Minneapolis, put it on at no cost when I asked and I didn't even buy the guitar from them. He used felt as BC mentioned above too. It won't cost much if anything.

Strapbolt_location.jpg

I did my own install on my Tanglewood in the exact location that Taylor Player is showing in the pic above...

however, I'm not drilling into my Songwriter... just me, I love her exactly as she is. I ordered an adaptor for making strap connections to the headstock easier.... best of luck, good advice here.

Archived