Gibson Brands Forums

Eppy selector switch problems

Kaiser Bill

Greetings...I have had to change the pup selector switch in my Joe Pass Emperor II (Korean made) twice in nine years. The latest is a StewMac replacement, which is an exact replacement part, and probably much better than the original. I wired it exactly like it was (took photos) and now I no longer have a bridge pup. I get the neck pup...no problem and I get both pups in the center position (like before), but no bridge pup by itself. Any ideas?? TIA for any help or suggestions.

KB

Greetings...I have had to change the pup selector switch in my Joe Pass Emperor II (Korean made) twice in nine years. The latest is a StewMac replacement, which is an exact replacement part, and probably much better than the original. I wired it exactly like it was (took photos) and now I no longer have a bridge pup. I get the neck pup...no problem and I get both pups in the center position (like before), but no bridge pup by itself. Any ideas?? TIA for any help or suggestions.

KB

Check the contacts in the switch.

The switch is brand new. This is the same problem I had before I replaced the switch. I truly thank you all for your suggestions tho. I'm going back and tear the guitar apart again.

They should give you your money back, that shouldn't happen with a new switch.

Getting a new switch out of StewMac or my money back isn't going to happen...LOL But thanks for the suggestion. I re-soldered all the connections, and now when I flip to the bridge pup, I get a nice 60cycle hum. It never ends (SIGH)

Did you get this one?

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Metric_3-way_Toggle_Switch.html

It looks very similar to a Göldo 3 way swich I bought for my Epi, bought it only because they didn't have a short version from Switchcraft.

It is really worth the investment, for now the Göldo works fine, but when I compared them I could literally feel that the Swichcraft was sturdier.

And you probably could tell in a blind test wich one is wich simpli swiching up and down, it feels different.

Simply looking at them reveals better quality, and it's what Gibson uses.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Switchcraft_3-way_Toggle_Switch.html

If you're working on guitars, you need a volt-ohm meter. Check whether you're getting continuity through the switch (center to both sides when in middle, center to one side or the other when single pickup selected). You can also check for continuity from switch to pot, etc. It seems odd that you've gone through so many switches, so maybe something else is wrong. Good luck.

Archived