Gibson Brands Forums

String Question

glp2012

OK, I recently switched to using Rotosound RS66LD bass strings in the 45-105 gauge. The last two times I have used them, the E string goes flat sounding as soon as I get it in tune. Literally, the string sounds dead, like it needs to be replaced. I've never had this problem before and was wondering if anyone else has this same type of problem with any straings they use or with specific manufacturers - guitar or bass.

I'm thinking it's the 105 gauge string. I think the D'Addario's I used were 100's. Maybe it's thicker than I'm used to and am only "hearing" a difference?

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

OK, I recently switched to using Rotosound RS66LD bass strings in the 45-105 gauge. The last two times I have used them, the E string goes flat sounding as soon as I get it in tune. Literally, the string sounds dead, like it needs to be replaced. I've never had this problem before and was wondering if anyone else has this same type of problem with any straings they use or with specific manufacturers - guitar or bass.

I'm thinking it's the 105 gauge string. I think the D'Addario's I used were 100's. Maybe it's thicker than I'm used to and am only "hearing" a difference?

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Not going to be a ton of help to you as I just picked up a bass this year to mess around on, the strings on it were dead, dead,dead when I got it.(don't what they were)

I put GHS boomeras on it same gauge (105-45) and they sound good to me. It had been decades since I used boomers on my 6 strings (started using EB colbalts years ago and never looked back), but the little shop I bought the strings at only had the boomers and elixers for bass. Like the elixers on my acoustic but wasn't goiing to sell out that kind of dough for the bass.

Personaly I've never liked D'Arrarios on anything, but that's just a personal choice.

Could be you just got a dud set?

Sure there'll be other opinions shortly.

Johnny

You wouldn't get 2 dud sets from Rotosound IMO.

Very surprising that it sounds dead - they are usually excellent, but the .105 gauge may need extra intonating after being on the bass for a few days.

I have seen the same problem and it was due to the string not sitting in the nut correctly.

You might need just check the string in the nut.

If it's not sitting in the nut correctly, you can pick up a nut file for a couple of bucks

Archived