Gibson Brands Forums

Ignoring the Gadgetry; What sold the Robot to you?

Duende

In November 2007 like a lot of people I got quite excited about the new technology of the original Robot Guitar.

What really made me interested though, with the media hype, was a hunch that as all eyes would be on this guitar, then it was going to be a damn good Les Paul. In other words they were going to pull all the stops out for constructing this well. I think from the people I have spoken with who own this model, it could well be the playability and tone this guitar becomes collectable and the "worlds first self tuning guitar" a cherry on the cake, like an after thought to it's fine craftsmanship.

I read about the specs and ebony is my favourite neck wood. The idea of being able too to adjust the intonation and set it up with no need for a tech guy also excited me.

The guys in Peter Cooks (Hanwell London) said as usual cynics they thought it was going to be a run of the mill Les Paul Studio with the robotic functioning. They said trying the guitars they were knocked back with the sustain, tone and balanced tone when playing chords! They said it was a Les Paul with it's own sound and great in it's own right.

Anyway. What are you experiences of the tone of this Guitar?

I love playing clean on this too. The neck has a very solid feel while the fretboard feels structured and great for fast shifts! The humbuckers through my JSX Ultra channel sounds so alive and the harmonics very rich.

Of my electrics this, my Aerodyne Tele and Gretsch Brian Setzer are the finest made instruments, not only in my collection, but also of the many that have gone through my hands!

Matt

I thought Gibson would pull out all the stops for the GOR. I think they put most of their efforts in the uniqueness of the finish and the marketing. I really liked the ebony fingerboard, and I really like the finish (I'm color blind and always wanted a silvery blue guitar and this one does not dissapoint)

I do, however, think they could have used better pickups. These are fine, but are not top of the line Gibson pickups. They could have even spent some time pre-launch developing a new pickup, or break into the custom shop supply of NOS stuff they have squirreled away. My apologies though if these pickups are the ones that work best with the tuning function.

The first run guitars should have been the best custom shop les pauls with the extra option of the robot feature. Like a car manufacturer doesn't put the latest advanced technologies on the low end in it's line, it goes on the highest model they make.

The first run robots also should have the 'custom shop' designation

I thought Gibson would pull out all the stops for the GOR. I think they put most of their efforts in the uniqueness of the finish and the marketing. I really liked the ebony fingerboard' date=' and I really like the finish (I'm color blind and always wanted a silvery blue guitar and this one does not dissapoint)

I do, however, think they could have used better pickups. These are fine, but are not top of the line Gibson pickups. They could have even spent some time pre-launch developing a new pickup, or break into the custom shop supply of NOS stuff they have squirreled away. My apologies though if these pickups are the ones that work best with the tuning function.

The first run guitars should have been the best custom shop les pauls with the extra option of the robot feature. Like a car manufacturer doesn't put the latest advanced technologies on the low end in it's line, it goes on the highest model they make.

The first run robots also should have the 'custom shop' designation[/quote']

Just to be clear then aside from the tuning you paid all the money for this guitar just for the ebony fret board and colour?

Edit-The above isn't meant rudely just intrigued.

I would be interested to hear from Gibson why they didn't use an existing model as the first run Robot Guitar. I have my own theory though =D>

Matt

my friend has a les paul studio from a few years ago and a compared it to mine. Frankly all the differences were in my favour, here are a few-

-The robot had a better finish (met red with silver hardware, much more hot rodded attitude than that of the wine with gold)

-ebony fretboard was significantly noticeable compared to the rosewood, definitely richer sounding.

-for some reason (may just be set up) the string height and feel of the frets made thr GOR seem more playable.

-BIG REASON the neck on the robot felt like a slightly more rounded 60s slim taper neck, the studio was massive, which some like but i prefer the slightly less chunky profile. It was substantial compared to say an ibanez but felt more comfortable than the studio by far.

-The carefully finished binding on the neck and headstock was impressive (especially when the binding was filed around the frets, which is more common on a standard or custom)

Also when playing live, the locking neutrik jack is very handy, and obviously the robot feature is nifty too.

This particular guitar caught my interest because of the ability to change tunings automatically.

I wanted an SG and it came in the SG. When it arrived, I liked the metalic red finish very nicely done with some grain showing through. ebony finger board was another great perk. The pups sound great too for stock. The guitar looks nice with trapezoid inlays and neck & head binding. The 50's rounded neck is very comfortable. I also like the"Neutrik" jack.

just to be clear then aside from the tuning you paid all the money for this guitar just for the ebony fret board and colour?

Remember, when the 1st run robots came out, they were boxed up and you couldn't look at them or play them before buying them.

just to be clear then aside from the tuning you paid all the money for this guitar just for the ebony fret board and colour?

Remember' date=' when the 1st run robots came out, they were boxed up and you couldn't look at them or play them before buying them. [/quote']

I think my post may not have been clear and/or you have read it very literally; Or a turn of phrase, in this case "what sold it to you" has a slightly different meaning. (A bit like on forums I have noticed the word irony is used by US posters to describe what in the UK we would call coincidence)

Re read the thread like this my amigo

"When you first saw the Les Paul and played it, what was it about the feel and playability of the instrument that made you wish to buy it"

cheers, I hope that is clearer

Matt

By the way. There are no top of the line pick ups of Gibson pick ups as such, there are just different pick ups.

That is why a Les Paul Custom currently retailing at around $3300 US dollars and £2000 pounds also has the 490R and 498T pickups that a Studio has and until recently a standard had.

cheers

Matt

I wanted an SG and it came in the SG. When it arrived' date=' I liked the metalic red finish very nicely done with some grain showing through. ebony finger board was another great perk. The pups sound great too for stock. The guitar looks nice with trapezoid inlays and neck & head binding. The 50's rounded neck is very comfortable. I also like the"Neutrik" jack.[/quote']

exactly

Sear,

Sorry if I misunderstood your queery, but I think you asked what sold you on the robot besides the gadgetry and you referenced the november/december 07 time frame. Because I bought the original robot, I mentioned that what sold me and 3999 other buyers was the marketing and the assumption that Gibson would do right by their bosses (customers).

As for pickups being top of the line? Look at the prices of the Burstbucker Pro and the 57 Classic plus. These cost more because: a - they are in more demand than the others, or b - they cost more to produce. I know some prefer certain ones over others, but I would guess most people with robots would not complain if their guitars had either of the affor-mentioned pickups instead of the 490 and 498's. I would think that's an upgrade!

I mentioned that what sold me and 3999 other buyers was the marketing and the assumption that Gibson would do right by their bosses (customers).

VBB what makes you think you can speak for the other 3999 buyers who bought the origional Robot? And what exactly did you think Gibson was going to do right by you? just curious here.

My apologies though if these pickups are the ones that work best with the tuning function.

The pickups have absolutely nothing to do with the Tronical tuners, you could rip the pickups out of the guitar all together and it would still tune itself.

Sear' date='

Sorry if I misunderstood your queery, but I think you asked what sold you on the robot besides the gadgetry and you referenced the november/december 07 time frame. Because I bought the original robot, I mentioned that what sold me and 3999 other buyers was the marketing and the assumption that Gibson would do right by their bosses (customers).

As for pickups being top of the line? Look at the prices of the Burstbucker Pro and the 57 Classic plus. These cost more because: a - they are in more demand than the others, or b - they cost more to produce. I know some prefer certain ones over others, but I would guess most people with robots would not complain if their guitars had either of the affor-mentioned pickups instead of the 490 and 498's. I would think that's an upgrade![/quote']

It is all subjective to the style of music one plays. I like the 490 and 498. It is the same as what came on my 1st LP and is one of the features that helped sell the Robot to me.

Sear' date='

As for pickups being top of the line? Look at the prices of the Burstbucker Pro and the 57 Classic plus. These cost more because: a - they are in more demand than the others, or b - they cost more to produce. I know some prefer certain ones over others, but I would guess most people with robots would not complain if their guitars had either of the affor-mentioned pickups instead of the 490 and 498's. I would think that's an upgrade![/quote']

Firstly please call me Matt ;) Sear is my silly computer user name. Please read again. I mentioned the time referring to when the advertising first took it's hold of people like myself ie 2007 being mentioned as a time frame. I read literally too so I can empathise with your understanding of the way it is written.

Please don't be fooled as a consumer that burstbuckers cost Gibson more to produce. I am a child with music but a hardened cynic with marketing LOL

Regarding your opinion the burst bucker is an 'upgrade' etc, we must beg to differ my friend. Many highest end Custom shop Gibsons choose the 498 and 490.

Matt

Matt is right about the high end CS models choosing 490 and 498 PUPS. They also have some of them with Burst Buckers too. These are for the different style and tastes for music. One style for a particular sound. It does not mean one is better than the other but, better for a specific use. The Slash models have their own PUPs too and they aren't the Burst Buckers. Third party PUPs altogether because Slash uses them on his guitars.

Jimmyree,

I do think I can speak for the other 3999 Origianal Robot owners when I say they bought on marketing and the info in advertisements and internet demo's of the robot, because it wasn't possible to play the instrument first. We couldn't even open the box to look at the guitars because people were trying to do that to look through the lot and find the lowest serial number.

Did you buy a GOR on december 7th of 2007? If you were part of that, I'm guessing here, that you bought on the same info I am speaking of.

As far as pickups, yes everyone has different tastes and different music works well with different pickups, and they do put 490 and 498's on 3k les paul's but if you think the burstbucker isn't an up grade, I have to ask if you have ever played one. Also, why do all the high end custom shop stuff (like I mentioned before - not 3k-) have them: 50th anniv 59 CS, 59 vos, 57 goldtop, Warren Hayes edit, 60 vos, and on and on (these guitars are 5-8k) and all have the burstbuckers.

I think most would agree that a pair of original PAF's from a 59 would be an upgrade to our 490 and 498's. Well they don't make new originals, but the burstbuckers are a step in that direction over our PU's.

Obviously, these are just my humble opinions and I respect others to have their own opinions. However, remember that when I state my feelings on this site, that you can't criticize them and then state your own feelings like they are facts. ie. "there are no top of the line Gibson pickups, there are only pickups". That's not a fact, just your opinion. No better or no worse than my opinion (which I formulated after reading hundreds of reviews, personal accounts, and experienced first hand, as perhaps you did)

Val

Hi VBB

Sorry if my I may have offended you in any way.

Personally I enjoy all the variety on forums and expect people to have different views, it is after all what makes life interesting :)

I remember going to the shop sitting the Robot on my knee and running some licks up and down the neck and smiling to myself. It was a feeling I have only gotten with a few Guitars in my life!

I confess have been a Guitar **** in my life LOL (and still one). I have owned quite a few and because of my job played quite a few too. I have different pick up preferences for different things.=D>

Like I say lets agree to disagree! : d/

Matt

Matt,

I didn't take offense. I am a member on alot of online forums and occasionally people's opinions are fodder for getting others fired up. I am never trying to influence or discount other people's point of view, just offer (and defend)mine.

Agreed to disagree

Archived