Gibson Brands Forums

Case for B-45 12 String ?

merseybeat1963

Hi..

Which case fits the early 60's B-45 12 String Guitar?

It's the B-45 with the metal tailpiece that reaches to the end of the guitar.

There are a couple of nice Gibson Acoustic Guitar cases available but I think this

B-45 !2 string Ive bought in a chip board case will not fit maybe.

And I really can't see buying new these days.

The guitar is surprisingly good..low action and very nice sound bought

from the owner who's had it since the 60's.

Thanks

The devil is in the details. I have a '69 B45-12 and as Old Cowboy said, any D size 12 string case will fit. Having said that, even generic D sized cases vary slightly and it will make the difference between the headstock fitting in the case or not. I believe the case mine is in is 'generic' but just happens to have a little more headstock room that other seemingly similar ones.

Here it is with it's designated case, a Canadian case from the 80s:

rruqnr.jpg

And here it is in ANOTHER generic 80's Canadian case:

2khfo7.jpg

And here it is in a newer Gibson branded (Canadian) case:

2qn2s1d.jpg

29mosid.jpg

Bottom line, no worries about the body, just the headstock.

Any D-size case should fit the body. The issue is the longer headstock, so you need to carefully measure the overall length of the guitar--including the extremes of the headstock and tailpiece-- and the inside length of the case.

I had the exact same issue finding a hard case for my 1968 ES-335 12 string, which has the same headstock and a similar tailpiece to the B-45 12. The headstock was just enough too long not to fit comfortably in a stock Gibson ES-335 case.

As others have said, finding an appropriate vintage case may be a challenge. I ended up with a new Epiphone case, since the Epiphone analog to the ES-335 has a longer headstock than the Gibson version.

As others have said, finding an appropriate vintage case may be a challenge. I ended up with a new Epiphone case, since the Epiphone analog to the ES-335 has a longer headstock than the Gibson version.

The original 1960s Victoria Luggage cases with the plush yellow lining have started to get pretty pricey. I tend to prefer them though to the earlier Lifton cases though. I still have an early 1960s B45-12 case (you can see the tuner imprint). I keep my '42 J-50 in it when at home because the Ameritage case I bought for the Banner is too darn heavy. Only use it when we leave the house.

Archived