Gibson Brands Forums

'Fine And Mellow'

BluesKing777

The M20 has 1 3/4" nut, that right? Nice for fingerplucking! The onliest, only catch with my 1944 Martin 0-17 is the nut is 1 11/16", but the 44 fat C neck seems to make it feel larger. The Pre-War model had the friendlier 1 3/4", but I heard Jackson Browne bought them ALL when he fell in love with the old Martin mahogany top sound. The people who made them would be shocked to hear I like playing it in front of the computer screen - sound reflections are just sublime, but the little guitar sound can get lost in a larger room.

I played a custom guitar at the workshop without a guard - not sure what I think, maybe it lacks a visual definition like the other one I played with an OM style small teardrop.

BluesKing777.

Naked or not? L-R M20, 00018, L0

Do you play it extra easy in it's newborn state?

I don't know!

I imagine it will sound pretty tinny for a couple of weeks.

But the 4 that I played had not been played by the customers yet, and they sounded stunning. But I don't know how 'new' they were. I need to ring him on details like nut, saddle pickguard, strings.....ha ha ho ho!

BluesKing777.

2 more photos from the luthier's phone - back with clear coat done:

Custom77a_zpsqhugfqvt.jpg

Custom77b_zpswaphouxf.jpg

Not long now! Nut, bridge, etc...strings, set up, then >>>> MINE! [thumbup]

BluesKing777.

The photo host Photobucket crashed yesterday - why you can't see my guitar photos above.

They said that while PB was down for regular maintenance, another 'issue' came up.

Still crashed, in other words.

Meanwhile, as the guitar nears completion, I quizzed the luthier about a few things - tuners will be Schaller with ebony buttons, nut and saddle bone, pickguard will be black OM teardrop and strings will be Elixir PB 12s and away we go!

BluesKing777.

I can't wait for your next impending group guitar photo. It is interesting, from a gaseous point of view, that you bought two similar models from an 'artisan' builder. Being an accomplished guitarist, your interest certainly boosts his product and gives you more test drive fun. I get that. It's not necessarily about honing to the perfect 2 or 3 guitars, but more about a freewheeling pleasure you get from tasting all the candy you can sample. Do you think you'll sell one if their qualities are nearly identical?

I can't wait for your next impending group guitar photo. It is interesting, from a gaseous point of view, that you bought two similar models from an 'artisan' builder. Being an accomplished guitarist, your interest certainly boosts his product and gives you more test drive fun. I get that. It's not necessarily about honing to the perfect 2 or 3 guitars, but more about a freewheeling pleasure you get from tasting all the candy you can sample. Do you think you'll sell one if their qualities are nearly identical?

Must have given you the wrong impression - I only ordered ONE guitar.

The Boss is quite 'with me' on getting one of his guitars custom made - he has done some great work for me over the years and they look fantastic - but TWO customs, at the same time? Hank: "Move over Skinny Dog, the Fat Dog's movin' in!"

Hmm, the dread custom with madi rose, hmmm...... uh uh!

BluesKing777.

Oh dear! You'll get over it - we have had about 25 leaders here since your last one, including 3 Coups from their faithful friends and now we have Mr Noddy, (also super rich!).

Still waiting, waiting, waiting for the guitar....seems like years...

He did say 'maybe' Friday.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Yep. This is my third time around with election shock. 1st was Reagan, then the younger Bush. I'm old enough to look down the road and not get all bent. It is what it is.

Trump wants to build a wall. Apparently, you do too; a wall of guitars. Doesn't it have to gas-off a bit before you hug it?

Yep. This is my third time around with election shock. 1st was Reagan, then the younger Bush. I'm old enough to look down the road and not get all bent. It is what it is.

Trump wants to build a wall. Apparently, you do too; a wall of guitars. Doesn't it have to gas-off a bit before you hug it?

Humpty Dumpty!

New built guitar straight out of the oven! Let it sit, gas off you say? Don't know what the approach is supposed to be, never had a new cake before.

Probably play the stick out of it!

But I am getting ahead of myself - first, he has to finish it!

Wall of guitars, eh? TV: "News item to hand, man found squashed to death under collapsed wall of guitars - had a big grin!"

BluesKing777.

I finally had the mottled back of my '35 L00 wet sanded and refin in the spray booth. It had to 'gas-off' for a week. However, the finish was old school lacquer. Maybe your guy is using modern non-toxics.

The back of my L-0 is fairly unmolested - all the attention of the previous owner was drawn to decorating the front!

And there is absolutely not one touch of gas left in it!

(Tuners have mellowed out since this photo).

Queenie3_zps7b842a38.jpg

Queenie7h_zps10d2b8f1.jpg

BluesKing777.

What topcoat do you get on the Cargill? I love that L0 mahog back.

I guess it is a little late to ask him for a list of specs? I just said I wanted it like one of the ones I played with wider spaces. Well, I was happy to take the narrow nut one it sounded superb, but someone had their name on it and was waiting for it!

Back will be gloss and the Italian spruce top will be thin matt to let the sound breathe.

I will try and get specs in writing for future reference....

BluesKing777.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares in tone to your other small bods.

It will have the deep body like a Nick Lucas! Good luck finding a case...

Also great news for the songsmiths and lyric fiddlers - your new leader's name rhymes with all kinds of things! The failed one, not much.

I had a play of my 0-17 with some old Frank Stokes and Mr Crump has been easily altered already! Fun at the picnic.

Here is the original - "Mr Crump Don't Like It":

BluesKing777

Archived