Gibson Brands Forums

Tone caps-opinions

britabe

So i have been thinking about changing my stock caps in the 2008 Traditional LP. I have been watching the NOS bumblebees on ebay BUT I have some Vit. Q's and some orange drops (.022). Would there be a lot of difference if I wait and get some bumblebees as opposed to dropping in the Q's or orange drops. Any suggestions, preferences that some of you guys could weigh in on would be great!

I just got some Vitamin Qs to put in my LP. I was looking at the repro bumblebees, but didn't feel like paying the $40+ price. It made a slight difference to the sound on my LP. Not dramatic, but noticeable. It is worth it for such an investment, but don't expect miracles.

The Vitamin Q in my BFG made a pretty noticeable difference. The stock cap only seemed to have effect on the town when it was fully up or down, the Vitamin Q gave it some used in the middle, I can get some pretty good tone with a small twist of the knob. I was going to put one in my Strat, but the stock Greasebucket circuit works pretty well, I have one on order for my Flying V. I may drop one into my Ibanez SZ as well.

If you already have some Vitamin Qs, them put them in. You won't be sorry.

If you know how to use a soldering iron, it will only take a few minutes to put them in and see what you think.

The difference in a Vitamin Q and other Paper In Oil caps is going to be much more subtle than the difference between the stock ceramic and any paper in Oil cap.

Archived