Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 Studio Differences

gbuddy

I'm looking at used es 339 studio guitars and notice that some have 2 control knobs and some have 4. Some have pick guards and others don't. Can't get a good answer from Gibson or Dealers why this is. Were these options or simply different models in a given year? Cost differences? Thanks if you know.

Studios are obviously simpler models with less bling & to a lesser extent, functionality (knobs). Materials are also substituted. Both 2015 & 2016 Studios had maple necks instead of mahogany and torrified maple f/boards instead of rosewood (IMO, these differences make Studios the more attractive option regardless of price).

If the cost here in the uk (Andertons) is anything to go by the 2 knob Studios (2015) were cheaper than the 4 knob Studios (2016) by about £250. I can see no other change in spec between the two years & neither year offered a pickguard.

I don't think there is any particular reasoning behind the changes. Nevertheless, they will almost certainly be comparing overall sales figures/profits from year to year. This is likely to influence their plan for the next model.

All Gibson models seem to change to some extent every year.

This link shows the full 2016 spec. Note that the only options offered are the finish (S/B or Cherry). http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-339-Studio.aspx

The 339 studios are simpler and less expensive. The problem with having one set of controls is that you can't adjust the volume between the two pickups, which basically makes a Gibson pretty worthless.

worthless? [confused] really?

Not to some of us. Given the choice I would always go for the 2 master controls. I've even had one of my 4 knob (Gibson circuit) guitars re-wired for 2 master controls (the remaining ones are now coil taps).

Thanks for both of your replies. I have seen both of your posts in researching this guitar. I appreciate your gibson knowledge and will weigh it carefully in making a decision. I do understand the difference between the 339 and the 339 studio model and note that the studio has different finish options. It's just that in looking at the Gibson site for 2014 - 2016 I did not see the option available of going for 2 or 4 knobs or pick guard. Yet when I look at used models on Reverb and other sites I'm seeing them both ways for any given year.

Thanks

worthless? [confused] really?

Not to some of us. Given the choice I would always go for the 2 master controls. I've even had one of my 4 knob (Gibson circuit) guitars re-wired for 2 master controls (the remaining ones are now coil taps).

When I play with both pickups I always use different volume settings on each pickup. I can't get the sounds I want with one control. That's why one volume control is worthless to me. But that's just me. [thumbup]

Archived