Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for a BB King Standard

jobberone

Yeah maybe you could point out the kinds of places (and music) you play and some guys who gig in the same environment can give you their ideas. Really depends on the size of the room. You can't really play a half-stack in the local gin mill (well, you can, but...). By the way BB always played some variant of a Fender Twin. He even said he liked the Lab Series amp that he endorsed because it sounded like a Twin.

Oh, and pictures. You must post pictures of any new guitar before asking questions about it. I think it's a law.

I would recommend a Fender DR would be an overall usefull amp. Good for small club venues when you crank it up to play in the sweet spot. In larger venues; it will usually be mic.

I have the full stack Marshall and a Fender Twin Amp... they are too loud unless you play festivals. The Twin has a 25W power switch and works fine also; but seems a little thin sounding (with a Strat). Marshalls look good in a large stage...lol. Although, they are now a pain to transport. My kids plays rock in lot of festivals so he use full stack with a Messa Boogie head.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Dlx that I am just playing around with but I can't seem to get the sound from it. However, it is a clean sounding amp. There has been a lot of bad press on the PCB boards eventually cracking where the tubes connect directly to the PCB board. So reliability could be an issue after years of use. It will be a good project in the my retired years to change to to point-to-point wiring.

Now that's the answers I'm looking for. I need a practice amp for a small home. I'm new to electrics and just getting back into guitars after 35 years. My play is crap right now so I'm not even thinking about live before anyone not even my mother. I want something that's loud for a home, tube, and bluesy for this guitar. But I also have other guitars. I picked up a nice Westbury Custom with nice sound and low easy action and I've got a Traditions LP and probably a 60s Melody Maker for slide coming. I'm learning and no one is home with me daytime so I can crank it up if I want to which I do. I don't mind spending some money but not a great deal until I get better. But I know that the amp has a lot to do with the sound so if I'm learning I want it to do a lot and give me what I want in a sound. I don't think it's a good idea to learn on a POS guitar or an amp that doesn't 'sound' right. But what do I know.

I'll post pics as soon as I can. Busy with family matters and stupid doctor visits. Thanks to all. What a great community this is!

A Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue is hard to beat for an all around amp. I'd like to try some of the Gibsons, but don't have a GC within' several hours drive, one way.

<<<<< A Mesa Blue Angel is the bomb. But they are getting hard to find.

Best to ya.

Murph.

One of the more stupid moves I made was swapping the Deluxe Reverb for a whomping big 120-watt tube jobbie with two 12-inch speakers and, for the day (mid 1970s) lots of electronic goodies.

The big momma jomma will blow out the windows of my little abode. So what, now that I'm not playing in a style designed to hurt teenage ears? I dunno.

Besides, it weighs far too much. When I had the big Fender Leslie as well, that was some 160-180 pounds of "amp" to haul around and that's as much or more than the body weight of this worn out old picker. No thanks.

Right now in my work office I have a little Kustom jobbie. It's not at all the amp the DR was, but it's not bad at all with a multi-effect thingie that thickens and adds a bit of what I like for my sound. And it plays well enough for a solo gig from the stage of a 500-seat theater.

For a "just plain amp," or an amp to do blues or jazz, the D/R is fine. That's even if you toss a mike on the non-reverb/trem side or vice versa with an effects box added to the non-reverb side while you mike through the reverb a bit, the DR seems just about the ideal small solo gig amp. And... I got my fair share of decibels doing rock as a kid, too, in some pretty big venues.

I s'pose there's a D/R equivalent Gibbie somewhere, but out here in the boonies I've never seen one in captivity.

Still, I guess it's pay your money and take your choice. Once in a while I wish I were doing a gig where I could crank up the old blaster and blast... <grin> But, naaaaaah. I'm way too old. (The hell I am.)

That's the beauty of the Blue Angel. I can drop it down to the 2;6V6's, which is 15 watts class A, and crank it WAY up. That is where I live. See the mic on it...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (avatar)

That's in a bar, with a beer and a tuner on it. Minutes before "showtime"...........

Best amp ever built.........

If I need more headroom, I turn the knob for 4;EL84's, giving me 30 watts class A.

Vox anyone?

Best of luck.

Murph.

...Busy with family matters and stupid doctor visits.

Good luck with that. But try to stay away from stupid doctors, if you can find smart ones.

As for photos - a free photobucket account is the easiest way to get pictures on any online forum. They upload your photos, shrink them to the size that's easily loaded on web pages, and they give you links to cut and paste into your postings here. It's easier to do than it is to describe.

Archived