Gibson Brands Forums

Who uses med. strings on vintage Gibsons?

theflyingturtle

Being pretty much committed to tuning down to D....D on my old small bodied guitars in order to open up a couple more vocal keys, I feel/hear the cut-off point for string tension/top response often during playing, as subtle as it is. My L0 has such a nice neck angle after the reset a couple years ago that I even get a third fret first string buzz if the room humidity is slightly damp. I've solved it all by stringing all three guitars with Dunlop 80/20 13's, despite my fears. The tops have come to life at the tuned down key and my old hands aren't dogged. It's like a NGD at 6 bucks a pop.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the bottom 3 strings from a medium set and top three strings from a custom light set on my 1965 J-50 with no problems and no tuning down. In fact, sometimes I actually tune up. :)

Have you ever tried the John Pearse medium-light sets? They have exactly that combination, although I don't know whether they'll have the same diameters as what you are choosing. Now that I think about it, I think this is how D'addario creates a medium-light set as well..

Dave in SLC

I often put together my own sets of strings. But when I use straight mediums on my '42 J-50 and '46 LG-2, I stick with strings wound on a round core such as Newtones or DR Sunbeams. Next time I order strings I am going to give the new Curt Mangans a try.

You really put mediums on your LG-2? I have a 1947 and it is so light, so lightly built, I would be afraid it would hurt it.

It isn't a vintage guitar but I use mediums on my 2007 J-45TV.

Archived