Gibson Brands Forums

String height specs

slk

Ok guys I just put 11's on my SG and I am wondering what the norm should be for string height at the first fret. I just am wondering if the nut slots need to be deepened?? What would be the first steps to take when setting up a guitar for low action.

Thanks

\Steve

Ok guys I just put 11's on my SG and I am wondering what the norm should be for string height at the first fret. I just am wondering if the nut slots need to be deepened?? What would be the first steps to take when setting up a guitar for low action.

Thanks

\Steve

Hey Steve... so, what year / what strings were stock? Reason I'm asking (and I'm no expert).. going from say stock 9's to 11's could be a big jump and may require a good setup with the switch... others may have an option, but I'd say take it into the shop, tell them what you want as far as string height, and have it professionally done. Jmo. I have a 2016 warn sg T, and the stock setup was way higher than I like it. Brand new, and it needed a good setup. GC did a nice setup for me, had to touch the truss rod and such to get it right. Unless you really know what you're doing, I'd say not something you want to try to adjust yourself... thing most places charge 40-50 bucks, but they will do it right... jmo...

Archived