Gibson Brands Forums

Like Comin' Home..........

Buc McMaster

Wanted to use the Dove for the open mic this evening, so I've been playing it exclusively thru the week prior. Good gig. Met two or three other player/friends of the host that were doing a set when I arrived. They all loved the Dove. It is pretty. But.............it is also long scale, and while I can play it as well, picking up the Hummingbird is sure feels like coming home. Behind a week of long scale, for me there is a huge difference in feel. The short scale Hummingbird has an immediacy to it, a directness that feels more intimate than the Dove.........suppose that's one way to describe it. Like coming home. [wink]

Totally agree. That's why I play a J-45.

I played a Melody Maker (twin p/u) until I was about 19 when I found a 72' Les Paul "Recording" hanging in a pawn shop outside Phoenix. I brought a truckload of "trade" until the owner caved in and let me have it. I gigged that guitar for nearly two decades and everybody says you need a Tele or a Strat for Country, but I played a TON of Country.

While I did use a Tele AND a Strat for a while, I always came back to the short scale Gibsons, ending my electric days with a Custom Shop ES-339.

I simply don't like playing a longer scale acoustic now and will forever be a short scale man.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm usually OK with either scale, but there are 'coming home' guitars and 'leaving home' guitars for sure. Without getting too cosmic, I get the former result from guitars that feel like an extension of who I am and what I'm doing. Difficult to explain, but easy to recognize when it happens😍

Archived