Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Epiphone Dot w/Bigsby

bugo

I just got my first ever Epiphone guitar. It is a red Dot with a Bigsby and Seymour Duncan '59 pickups. It is also my first Gibson product, my first set neck guitar and my first ever archtop semi-hollow body with F-holes. I traded a Fender (Mexican) Standard Telecaster for it. I liked the Tele but I have another Tele that I like better so I wanted something a little different. I love it. It plays great and sounds terrific. I'm a Fender man but I have fallen head over heels with the Epi. It is very different from my Fenders. It forces me to play in a different manner, which is a good thing. It has inspired me to write in a different style. One thing I like about it is how loud it is unplugged. It doubles as a great makeshift acoustic. I love this guitar and look forward to many years of enjoyment from the big Epiphone.

31936950823_ba6ddb727f_b.jpg

32710108116_a3d1ec1fa4_b.jpg

32627349031_d5de88cf06_b.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the Dot Club. I've got a natural '08 Dot that I added a Bigsby to, and also have SD Classic p/u's. They're great guitars (as are Tele's) and if you like your Dot half as much as I like mine, well, you'll be very, very happy, they're quite versatile. As noted on yours, I've never felt a need to cover up the holes for the old stop bridge.

002_zps11f929c8.jpg

Also, if you haven't changed strings yet, one thing I discovered is that because of the extra string length required by the Bigsby vs. the original bridge location, the D and G strings leave only about an inch or so to wrap around the tuning peg (I'm using EB Cobalt's). Not an issue for me since that's about all I leave anyway, but just so you're not surprised. [biggrin]

....I love this guitar and look forward to many years of enjoyment from the big Epiphone.....

The big Epiphone, haha. I call my Dot "Big Girl." Welcome to the boards, bugo! And HNGD! Always love a chance to show off my trans cherry big girl....

lpp381.jpg

The big Epiphone, haha. I call my Dot "Big Girl." Welcome to the boards, bugo! And HNGD! Always love a chance to show off my trans cherry big girl....

I call it the "Big" Epi because I'm 6'4" and weigh 270 and my Tele looks like a mandolin when I hold it. The Dot looks more normal.

What is "trans cherry"? I know what cherry red is but what is the significance of "trans"?

Not sure about the Trans cherry on the Dot, but I have a Trans Orange wildkat. Trans = transparent.

Thanks. Nice Wildkat. It resembles the Emperor Swingster that I fell in love with at Best Buy a few years ago. How I loved that guitar. But I like my new Dot just as much.

Such a beauty....but you really need to add a Gibson to your stable! rolleyes.gif

You know, I was a couple days away from pulling the trigger on a new sunburst J-15 when I spotted a New Hartford-made Guild F50R on reverb and made an offer for about the same price. I mean, jumbo body, ebony fretboard, sunburst, DTAR dual source, abalone rosette.... I ain't lookin back!

Archived