Gibson Brands Forums

"Flame Trees"

BluesKing777

Good effort there, youre really going through an Aussie 80's revival with your tunes, arent you ?

The Lowden sounds real good, hard to get my head a bit around the vocals for this song without hearing Barnseys voice as its so ingrained in the brain.

Im actually going to be playing at an Anzac day social barbie here in Prague, and Im thinking of Aussie songs to play.

Chisel is an obvious one, but question which one to do where one can do it their own way and do it justice, as its near impossible to sound like Jimmy Barnes - I settled for folky version of Choir Girl whch I can get away with.

Will also add the following I reckon.

Paul Kelly - To Her Door

Powderfinger - My Happiness

Crowded House - Fall at your feet, Better Be home soon, 4 Seasons in one day, Distant Sun

Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane

Chisel - Choir Girl

Throw Your Arms around Me - Hunters & Collectors

That should be a good splash of Australiana along with some others that i normally play.

Throw some other suggestions as long as its not too tricky and can be done with one voice, an acoustic and a cajon.

Thanks EA, I thought the track was still loading and I wandered off....

Well, I bought a book called "The Great Australian Songbook" with 300 songs in sheet music lead sheet form...melody line, lyrics and chords worked out by a piano player who hadn't heard the songs. So I use the 5 point typeface lyrics and do my fingerpicking thing to come up with something, a few times I have played over the music melody lines on guitar. I think of the tunes I have learned as my Blues Brothers 'Rawhide' save the neck moment.... could be handy to drag out when broken down in Coonabarabran or Byron!

So I also do my folky blues version and would have some kind of embolism singing like the original, but I did see the band when the singer had left and let me tell you the guitarist is one of my fave singers and the piano player who actually wrote the song has a voice like a .....not much....

So for your Zac Day Barbie, EA, it all depends how Strayun you want to go.....Aust ex pats or Checkies?

But a few out of my book that could be in Chordie.com could be...

Downunder

Forever Now.

Khe Sahn

Don't Dream It's Over

Most People I Know

Power and Passion

Dumb Things

And for a laugh the book has every thing that hit the airwaves including Theme From Prisoner, Neighbours, Happy Vegemites, Old Man Emu, True Blue, Sadie, And joyously, Duncan and Pub WNB.....

BluesKing777.

Its gonna be mainly Aussie and Kiwi expats with their Czech partners, and a few lost Brexiters.

The chisel stuff is a challenge BK, as its hard to cover Barnsey, hence Choir Girl is a decent choice, maybe Khe Sahn once the voice is warmed up.

Nick Cave is a good choice, I have Henry Lee in the reptoire and its sounding fairly decent these days, so will give that a run. Maybe the Thirsty Dog, which was written after the specific bar located in Prague.

With hte Oils, we did a great version of Beds Are Burning with my old singer but to me that song is a bit tricky to sing.

Will also work on INXS Never Tear Us Apart .....as the video was shot in Prague in 1987, highly nostaglic

I find the Crowded House stuff travels the best internationally in terms of recognistion and likeability,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VU9DjQpvMQ

Crowded house sing just out of reach for me.

When the two brothers harmonise it creates almost one voice

I can do the verse of weather with you but the chorus is way outta reach

Distant sun is another I'd love to do

I can struggle with 4 seasons and better be home ok

I played together alone to death when it came out. Superb album as are the others but it's an underrated classic

Crowded house sing just out of reach for me.

When the two brothers harmonise it creates almost one voice

I can do the verse of weather with you but the chorus is way outta reach

Distant sun is another I'd love to do

I can struggle with 4 seasons and better be home ok

I played together alone to death when it came out. Superb album as are the others but it's an underrated classic

Yeah, Neil Finn's voice is a challenge, he loves jumping octaves and his high range is a real challenge for me.

If I can capo down thats the only way I can do it, so for Fall At Your Fee I drop half a step and for Distant Sun I go a tone down, (cap 1) as he makes that octave jump on the 2nd verse / chorus and its a real bugger to hit and maintain.

So many great songs to consider in their reportoire, I think Neil Finn is one of the best songwriters of our time.

Here is the list of songs from the book - except some have changed since this 2002 edition, but this is readable and the second link, not...! You dont have to buy the book, but use the list to look up possibles in Chordie etc.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/16516140?selectedversion=NBD24096108

accurate if you can blow it up:

http://www.magpiemusic.com.au/the-great-australian-songbook-4th-edition/

Yes, what would we do without the capo - this book illustrates the torturous chords and arrangements that can be made by a piano player working out tunes for you that were possibly originally using capos or tuned down - their Khe Sahn (in Gb instead of Em) and Come Back Again (Ab instead of A), Most People I Know (Ab instead of A) are perfect examples. Some common sense is needed.

Neil Finn and Don Walker both learned their Beatles ballads, for sure, and include a minor chord here and there very effectively to ad emotional content....I look for that kind of thing for making a fingerpicking arrangement of it.

edit for photo!:

I played the tune on this Lowden S35:

ctXVU2V.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived