Gibson Brands Forums

After Nearly Five Years It Finally Happened!

capmaster

Not bad at all... :) On 14 July 2012 I bought my first cheap Thomann guitar cable, 6 m or 20 feet long, along with my first Gibson Les Paul, my 2012 Standard Plus. It is coincidence for sure, but just when I plugged it into this same guitar today, its core got broken. A less scientific point of view would be that it wanted to say its last goodbye to just this instrument! [biggrin]

Anyway, considering appropriate capacitance, thousands of pluggings and noiseless operation until its last use I really can't complain. This make was 6 EUR then and is 6.90 EUR now. It is succeeded by another one of same sort I bought in 2013. If my health won't get better soon, it will probably outlive me :unsure:

Exceptional life for an inexpensive cable, not sure I could even find a cable for sale in the US for that price and if I did I would hesitate to purchase it for fear it wouldn't last. Will be interesting to see if the one you got a year later fails at about the 5 year mark or if it hangs on longer.

I gave up on cheap cables years ago and have had success with Planet Waves Custom Series which have gold connectors and supposedly are directional. There is a shielded end that you are supposed to plug into the amp or pedal and the other end into the guitar.

Purchased my first one 12/27/05. Still have the receipt as it was the most I'd paid for a cable up to that point, and there was an implied warranty "we stand behind our products 100%, if at ANY time you are unsatisfied contact us.." But it was $35 for a 20 footer. Since then I have bought a couple more and none of them have failed yet. [biggrin]

Archived