Gibson Brands Forums

Ordered An ES335 / Headstock inlay question

Jasper

Hey people. I just ordered a brand new es-335 through long and mcquade and just was wondering what all should come with my guitar when it arrives. As far as i know it should have a COA in the case and a truss rod wrench...Should ES335's come with a custom care kit or not???

Another question regarding the headstock inlay on models like the ES and SG....being the crown and logo inlays. But sometimes I've noticed that the inlays in the headstock are raised up as opposed to being a uniformly smooth surface. It seems like a common problem and i don't know if it's meant to be that way or if it's a cosmetic defect. Hopefully someone can explain it to me.

Thanks! =P~

Hey Jasper, I ordered a new one as well at it came with the basic stuff, no care kit

Well it is a custom piece so there maybe some difference in the thickness of the crown and logo piece I think mine is a

little raised as well.

What finish did you order and don't forget the number one rule......You must post pics

Congrats on the new guitar you will love it

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't dream of not posting pics :-& Anyway, I ordered it in cherry (clearly im original haha). How old is your guitar? did it come with a COA? and basic stuff you mean the pre pack list, warranty card etc right?

Thanks for the reply...I'm impatiently waiting and infinitely stoked for my new guitar :-&

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't dream of not posting pics :-& Anyway' date=' I ordered it in cherry (clearly im original haha). How old is your guitar? did it come with a COA? and basic stuff you mean the pre pack list, warranty card etc right?

Thanks for the reply...I'm impatiently waiting and infinitely stoked for my new guitar :-&[/quote']

Dude, i didnt buy a 335, but yeah, thats what it'l come with.

Why would they remove it? I would call Gibson and ask if that's legit.

One thing I would do first thing is change the strings, I don't know what it was but I was less then impressed for a few days

and then put some DR round wound Pure Blue 10's and WOW It all came togather. I am sure you will get many different

suggestions on strings so try em all, for what we paid for that guitar strings are nothing.

Good luck my friend and I hope it arrives early

Thanks. I think someone else on this forum said that yorkville does this in a thread specifically about COA's ..it was either here or MLP. Anyway, while I'm waiting I may as well go out and buy various strings to try out. Thanks for the tip!

New COA's (since early 2008 I believe) are a smaller format in a folded black holder that fits inside the guitar case - and there's a tag on the handle that says that the COA is inside the pocket. Older COA's are a full piece of paper in a blank cardboard envelope - outside the case floating around in the Gibson box - and they've been known to get discarded or misplaced when unpacking the case at the store. I've never heard about the Canadian distributor taking them out, seems odd (in other words that's a polite way of saying it makes no sense and I'd be hard pressed to believe it).

My Cherry just arrived too (photos posted elsewhere when I put a deposit on it).

It came with the basics - the Custom Shop Certificate, Truss Rod tool and the Warranty stuff.

I will NEVER regret my decision. The guitar is a dream. I am going to run it in with the strings it came with and then change over at its first service.

Interesting point about the strings, Mark. I recently bought the 355 reissue w/Bigsby and wasn't totally convinced till I plucked up the courage to change the strings (first experience with Bigsby!). Since then it's been a dream, and holds its tuning fine. The strings it cam ewith were slipping all over the place.

Well. were waiting......any sign of a delivery truck?

I have to go pick it up from the shop....but no, not yet, tomorrow is 2 weeks wait. I'm hoping it's not going to be too much longer or im gona go crazy! But I was told to expect a 2 to 4 week wait for this... :P

Oh and also I emailed the Canadian distributor, (Yorkville Sound) for all Gibsons that make it up here to Canada, about the COA issue and the person who emailed me back stated this:

"Gibson has issued a smaller sized COA begigining on all 2008 models and newer...thus making it easier for us to keep the certificates in the cases when we ship them. Prior to Gibson's changes, we were removing all the certificates and keeping them safely filed in the sales department as these COA's were a little large to be shipping safely. If any of our dealers sells a guitar of the older models (before 2008) they simply call us to ask that we ship them out the correct COA along with the Gibson care kit where on the other hand if it's a newer model, the dealer will receive the certificate inside the case along with the guitar upon it's arrival. Depending on what model guitar you ordered it's hard to say which certificate you will be getting - if it's new stock or old stock. If you could let me know which model you ordered exactly (model #) along with which dealer you ordered it from I may be able to find that out for you. I hope this information helps.

Cheers!"

It seems they only took out the old COA's....the ones before the little black book...But still, why would they be unsafe to ship, they got from the USA to Canada alright didn't they? :P

Archived