Gibson Brands Forums

The best vintage looking 1990 Les Paul!!!

nicolasrivera

Let me start by saying that i feel extremely lucky, i got this amazing looking and sounding Les Paul, a vintage 1990 standard that has been played hard. This guitars almost feel like it belongs in a museum. The broken in feel is just out of this world....man i never thought a guitar could feel like this.

This baby has seen so many bars that it has that smoky smell all over, its an amazing smell!!!.

How the logo looks like its from the 50's is priceless. There are cracks in every part of the lacquered finish that has turned into a vintage amber.

I cleaned this guitar very carefully and it had coats nicotine every ware, The guitar had zero shine, but after this it brought it back and its way better then the VOS finish, because its real!!! everything here is real not simulated and i can see just how unrealistic Tom Murphy relicing is, no offense, but i think that it does not represent how real lacquer ages.

The neck is fat and rounder from playing so many gigs that its the most comfortable neck i have ever played.

And for the sound....well the neck pickup its beyond anything i have ever heard, its so amazing i just cant describe them. The bridge is just as wonderful and has a vintage tone of a PAF. The acoustic tone of the wood resonates very snappy and warm.

This guitar comes from Spartanburg, SC and i bought it from a guy that found it in a local pawnshop. Its was left there by the guitarist of a band called The BootHill Band (Southern rock) and he was the original owner and was his main guitar for years and played every bickers bars all over the USA.

This baby looks far older then 19 years and i'm blessed with it, for $1,210 and original case :dude:

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

DSC01156.jpg

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

There was a sticker here, some took it off, :-({|=

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

Yeah' date=' it's not even that old...I wonder if he did some kind of hardcore aging process on it or if he just beat the hell out of it w/complete disregard. I dig the finish, but man, that looks close to being on it's last legs!

Enjoy it! [/quote']

I looks like it, but man when i grab that beast it just takes me somewhere else, i'm telling you this baby has plenty of life left....but it need a refret or crowning.

I looks like it' date=' but man when i grab that beast it just takes me somewhere else, i'm telling you this baby has plenty of life left....but it need a refret or crowning. [/quote']

Oh, I think my words came out wrong (I seem to be having a habit of that today...)...I think it looks like an amazing guitar, actually. I really do love the finish.

A great player w/personality to spare? I'd say you found yourself a winner, man!

Oh' date=' I think my words came out wrong (I seem to be having a habit of that today...)...I think it looks like an amazing guitar, actually. I really do love the finish.

A great player w/personality to spare? I'd say you found yourself a winner, man! [/quote']

Thanks man, i was really lucky to be able to buy this guitar in such hard times, but it will be the las guitar for me this year.

Havent take hr apart yet' date=' but most be honeyburst for sure, Cherry faded differently.[/quote']

I looked closer and really. I had Honeyburst standard and the neck was more brown coloured, and this baby looks more reddish, so it could be cherry-something burst. Who cares it looks stunning the way it is!

Look like the neck pickup ring is warp a bit in the second picture. Have you consider replacing it or just leaving it as is?

That is a nice looking guitar.

I really do not want to touch anything, live it as she has serve for so many years.

The rings color is just perfect and they have warp but i really do not want to fix anything at this point, i do not even now what pots or caps it haves.

If its perfect, why touch anything.... know what i mean.

thanks.

Nico.

That's not "natural aging" -- that's abuse. That guitar has been in and out of some pretty serious temperature changes (the pickup bezels hold the clue). I've got a '67 ES-335 that has some checking, but nothing near what this guitar exhibits. Same with my '76 L5-S. Same with my '50 ES-175, ditto with the three early '50's LPs. I do have one guitar that looks like that, and like that guitar it's relatively new (anything since 1990 is new as far as I'm concerned). But that guitar has been hauled in and out of freezing and baking temps in the back of a trailer and the trunk of a car, and opened without allowing the guitar to come up to temperature. It's also shows the effects of having been dehydrated and re-moisturized, sometimes at high rates. Or, as we know it otherwise, taken from air conditioning into hot muggy air and back again regularly. In particular, the binding is beginning to flake and crack, and that takes some work. Binding expands and shrinks at a different rate from the body/neck wood, but it has to be run in and out fairly frequently and with no care to allowing the guitar to warm up or cool down slowly.

In short, this is NOT how lacquer ages "normally."

You may consider it lovely and just perfect if you're really all about that look. But you should plan on that finish becoming...uh...moreso in the future, and I would expect the binding on that guitar begin to come apart unless the guitar is treated with much more care in the future.

I really do not want to touch anything' date=' live it as she has serve for so many years.

The rings color is just perfect and they have warp but i really do not want to fix anything at this point, i do not even now what pots or caps it haves.

If its perfect, why touch anything.... know what i mean.

thanks.

Nico.[/quote']

That's understandable. Have you pop off the control cover just to take a peek inside and see what you have?

That's not "natural aging" -- that's abuse. That guitar has been in and out of some pretty serious temperature changes (the pickup bezels hold the clue). I've got a '67 ES-335 that has some checking' date=' but nothing near what this guitar exhibits. Same with my '76 L5-S. Same with my '50 ES-175, ditto with the three early '50's LPs. I do have one guitar that looks like that, and like that guitar it's relatively new (anything since 1990 is new as far as I'm concerned). But that guitar has been hauled in and out of freezing and baking temps in the back of a trailer and the trunk of a car, and opened without allowing the guitar to come up to temperature. It's also shows the effects of having been dehydrated and re-moisturized, sometimes at high rates. Or, as we know it otherwise, taken from air conditioning into hot muggy air and back again regularly. In particular, the binding is beginning to flake and crack, and that takes some work. Binding expands and shrinks at a different rate from the body/neck wood, but it has to be run in and out fairly frequently and with no care to allowing the guitar to warm up or cool down slowly.

You may consider it lovely and just perfect if you're really all about that look. But you should plan on that finish becoming...uh...moreso in the future, and I would expect the binding on that guitar begin to come apart unless the guitar is treated with much more care in the future.[/quote']

Chongo thanks for the input, very informative.

I'm trying very hard to find the original owner of this baby so he can answer lots of questions i have.

I will take great care of her, she had all the abuse a guitar should have in a lifetime, now shes in my tender hands!!!

Thanks.

Well, that 1990 Les Paul Standard definately looks amazing and I bet it sounds great as well. How is her weight? I'd definately leave this Les Paul the way it is!!!

My 1988 Les Paul Standard also has been gigged/played a lot (it needed a refret badly). I love her amazing tone and

feel (!), but I hate the fact that the neck still tends to get 'sticky' sometimes. It would be insane with a Faded neck...

Well' date=' that 1990 Les Paul Standard definately looks amazing and I bet it sounds great as well. How is her weight? I'd definately leave this Les Paul the way it is!!!

My 1988 Les Paul Standard also has been gigged/played a lot (it needed a refret badly). I love her amazing tone and

feel (!), but I hate the fact that the neck still tends to get 'sticky' sometimes. It would be insane with a Faded neck...

[/quote']

I feel its about 10pounds, my 2003 is 9 pounds and this one feels a bit heavier.

The sound of this baby is so sweet that i feel those burstbuckers sound like **** now.

Archived