Gibson Brands Forums

R8,R9 etc

guitar_randy

Anyone know the link which describes the different LP's as far as the R8,R9 ,and all the different R models?

I looked around on the Gibson site but was unable to find it.I never payed too much attention to all of that,but with all the different messages talking about them,I'd like to kind of know the differences.

R= reissue, # = year from 1957 - 1960 (generally acknowledged as the "holy grail" era for vintage Les Pauls) being "replicated". So, an R7 would replicate the "specs" (if such a thing actually existed) of a '57 LP Goldtop, whereas an R0 would do same for a 1960 'Burst. Just my general observation, the R7 & R8 are pretty much identical except for the finish (R7= gold top, R8 = cherry sunburst), and the R8 is usually a "plain top", i.e., no flame. The R9 is supposed to replicate the spec of a '59 'Burst, but is pretty much just a R7/R8 with a flamey top, the R0 is same, but with the "slim taper" neck profile that is identified with 1960 - 61 Gibson electrics. (WRT the latter, I once owned a real '60 Burst and it didn't have a neck profile anything like the current R0s.) As has been noted, the R7s & R8s are about $2k-$3k less expensive than the R9-R0. Within all of this are pretty significant variations from guitar to guitar. All of the guitars employ componentry identified with the vintage originals, that is, ABR-1 style bridges, vintage spec knobs, pots, caps, pickups, etc. The more contemporary Les Pauls may have the later "Nashvlle" bridge, hotter pickups, etc.

Archived