Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Historic Collection

PickitPaul

Hi everybody, have an '05 Historic Bird, not the one with the limited production number, but the "regular" one with those big nickel Grover Rotomatic tuners.

While these tuners are not Historic, the keystone ones are, one wonders why they were used. I am thinking of pulling these off & installing the Grover keystones, but someone told me that the gear ratio is the same as what i've got so nothing is gained there except looks. The weight must be different. Should effect tone?........hmmm.

I get a big sound out of this bird - and run med. lights, but also tune down 1/2 step. Anyone have a Historic Collection Bird care to comment? Were these based on the early 60's, but if it was, mine has a thick neck with 1 3/4 width. I thought the early ones had a thin low profile 1 11/16"?

Another question: Does Ren get involved with regular production or is he more involved with limited edition Custom Shop guitars?

Thanks for any interesting info. :-

I have a Historic Hummingbird from 04, one of 48 made that year (mine was made in Feb 04). Mine has the keystone tuners. For some reason, Gibson made this particular year's model a 25.4" long-scale, not sure why but for some reason Gibson put out the 04 Historics (which used to be known as "Authentics" in 03 but they changed the moniker) with the long scale.

Over the past few years I've had many guitars come and I've had to let a lot go, but I still have this one, it was my first and it's my main squeeze. It's opened up quite nicely, is very balanced from and has that nice, honey-toned sound. The pickguard is the red pickguard with the carved/painted Hummingbird design. It's the standard nut width, definitely not 1.75" - is that what yours is?

I'm not too inclined to make hardware mods to my acoustics, if I were you I'd just keep the Grovers on it. I doubt you'd be able to gain a difference in tone, it might be a little lighter on the headstock with the Keystones.

BirdDude, I have to wholeheartedly agree with Mike Lewis regarding hardware changes--

I think you should leave the Grovers on. I've had two other guitars ('93 J-200, and a new True Vintage VOS LTD J-200) with the keystone/Kluson style tuners. The tuners on the '93 finally gave up the ghost a couple years ago and were replaced with a nice set of the Tone-Pros keystone repros. All very fine tuners, held well, reasonable action, etc. However, about 3 weeks ago I bought a custom shop Hummingbird 12 string, and it came with Grover mini's. I'd had some initial pre-purchase reservations, as I'd never had a 12 string, and heard nothing but horror stories re tuning stability. This guitar, however, is a rock in terms of tuning. It's unbelievable-- It holds its tuning better than any 6 string I own, with the exception of an all graphite Rainsong, which is about equally stable.

When I first got into guitars back in the late '70's/early 80's I'd see these nice used (I guess they'd be "vintage" today) guitars with those "ugly looking" round back Grovers retrofitted, often with the original tuner screw holes exposed. I always thought "what gives, who screwed this up...?" Now, I get it. The Grovers are far, far better tuners--I'd never have believed it. The keystones, in actuality, are an inferior and antiquated design--so, though they look "right" for some models there is a sacrifice in function. If you'd told me this a month ago, I'd have said, "yeah right, a tuner's a tuner, and all those guys back in the day just wanted the newest thing and it won't really make a noticeable difference." I can say that I would have been WRONG. So wrong....

So, maybe Gibson is, in fact, being historically accurate--All those nice Hummingbirds that got into the hands of real players ended up with Grovers. Leave the Grovers-- don't perseverate on "historical" issues, play your guitar and spend the extra dollars on things that really matter, or will make your playing experience more enjoyable. Trust me, the keystones/Klusons (though nice tuners) won't. I suspect you will be disappointed as you will find yourself frustrated that your guitar will lose some tuning stability. That's not an upgrade--that's extra stress. Relax and play that 'Bird!!

Dwight

Good Day to you from: Spanish Oak, NC

Sounds like you got a nice Hummingbird. I think I would leave the tuners as is. Thats a special guitar you got there. I have a 1963 Hummingbird Custom and its worth alot more money in original condition. I payed $350.00 for my Hummingbird and now it is appraised between $3,800.00 to $4,200.00 / thats last years price value. You have a beauty that will go up in value as time goes by. And the good part is the sound of the guitar gets better with time.

It want be long that a guitar made with fine woods will be priceless. They are already using other materals to make guitars. Your sitting on a Gold Mine, enjoy that Gibson!

God Bless, Spanish Oak, NC

On my previous Hummingbird(98') I did replace the Grovers with Gold Kluson Deluxe from Stew Mac.Marked off the depth of original holes with a drillbit and masking tape,and took my time to line up so no tuners were aligned and seated correctly. There was a slight headstock imprint left on the bottom of the original Grovers that remained after the Klusons were installed,but you had to be within a foot to see this little half moom divot. As most of us play regularly and balance of the guitar becomes ingrained,I did notice a slightly less top heavy headstock.Tonewise it didn't hurt certainly,may of helped. I loved the look though! So I am probably going to do again on my Maple Bird with Gibson Deluxe tulips,as I believe that is what is used on the J-200 as the gold standard when Gibson goes that way.As far as tuning, my ear/attention is not that finicky so I had no issues with the change.Side note, when I sold my Hummingbird through Folkways in Guelph they said it was best to include my originals with the guitar, in case the new owner wanted to changeout. I did,heard no negative feedback on sale ,as it sold within a week or two.I'll post pics when I do the change again.

Archived