Gibson Brands Forums

Strings/gadgets/etc. that I need?

dhanners623

Making plans for the annual summer trip back to the U.S. and I'm wondering -- Are there any new strings or gadgets or other guitar toys I need to check out?

Was thinking of getting some Martin Retro strings, particularly for my D-18 clone. Anybody tried them? Thoughts?

I have Martin Retros in my D18 now. I like them a lot. I seem to enjoy the change in tone... these strings are more "nasal, fundamental, mellow" than EJ16s or Martin Lifespan PB lights, which have more zing. I like switching back and forth between them, so I do believe they are worthy of your trying them out.

By the way, I do NOT like Retros on my Gibsons at all.

Other gadgets?

Maybe a Kala Uke bass, or a cheap Eastman mandolin (fantastic by the way)? I think money spent there is better than electronic tuner gadgets

I have Martin Retros in my D18 now. I like them a lot. I seem to enjoy the change in tone... these strings are more "nasal, fundamental, mellow" than EJ16s or Martin Lifespan PB lights, which have more zing. I like switching back and forth between them, so I do believe they are worthy of your trying them out.

By the way, I do NOT like Retros on my Gibsons at all.

Other gadgets?

Maybe a Kala Uke bass, or a cheap Eastman mandolin (fantastic by the way)? I think money spent there is better than electronic tuner gadgets

Thanks. I do plan to give the Retros a try. The J-35 will probably stay strung with EJ-17s, though.

And I've actually been looking at an Eastman lefty F-style, but they seem to be hard to find.

Making plans for the annual summer trip back to the U.S. and I'm wondering -- Are there any new strings or gadgets or other guitar toys I need to check out?

BK is the gadget guru, but he's also quite rich, so get ready to break the bank....

It's snowing in Southern Illinois this morning.

Always nice to come home, though !

BK is the gadget guru, but he's also quite rich, so get ready to break the bank....

It's snowing in Southern Illinois this morning.

Always nice to come home, though !

Yikes. My friends in Casey, my hometown, said it's been a crazy winter. We'll be there in July, and it'll be good to see the color green again.

Archived