Gibson Brands Forums

NBD (a couple of weeks ago)

tx-ogre

I took delivery from Sweetwater on 9/29. I was going to take some pictures of my own, but realized the attached image is probably better than I could take and upload. It's an image of the actual bass I received.

It's an Ibanez SRMS806. My first 6 string bass and Ibanez guitar or bass. Very well made. It's a keeper.

Edit: Here is the link to the photo of the bass I am now the proud owner of.

https://i.imgur.com/xX7wNyD.jpg

I will see if I can imbed a photo is a future post.

I uploaded an image to Imgur for attachment, but the forum is not being cooperative. I will keep trying after I no longer have the urge to shoot my monitor...LOL. The bass in the link is NOT the one I received.

Well I was going to compliment your fan fret 6 string but since that was not the model, I do not know what to say about your purchase yet.....So don't keep me hanging on which one!!!

Sorry about the confusion. The link is for the model I received, but not the exact bass I received. I think mine looks better. [biggrin] I thought I would be able to upload an image of the actual bass I received along with the link so everyone would have access to the model/specs. Didn't quite work out that way.

Anyway, when I have some time, I will have to figure out how to upload the file from Imgur. Hoping my next attempt will be more successful. [confused]

You have to go to your album page then click on the pic of it. Somewhere around there is a thing to click that says something like embed links I think. Anyways once you click on that there is a link with 4 options and one that says forums. Then take and copy that onto your post.

If it looks even better than the one in the link you must be a VERY happy bunny! Gorgeous wood and finish.

The 'fan' fretwork looks interesting, too, and according to the spiel players find the transition to be a very natural experience.

Many congrats!

Pip.

If it looks even better than the one in the link you must be a VERY happy bunny! Gorgeous wood and finish.

The 'fan' fretwork looks interesting, too, and according to the spiel players find the transition to be a very natural experience.

Many congrats!

Pip.

Thanks Pip. Looks like I was finally able to get a photo up. The fanned frets were very easy to get accustomed to.

Hey that is a very nice looking one. I love the color. So on a 6 string, what are the other 2 strings? I think the ergonomics of the slanted frets would be comfortable to play. It is a very nice bass and I like Ibanez products myself. I have a prestige RG Japan model. It too is well made and pretty.

Hey that is a very nice looking one. I love the color. So on a 6 string, what are the other 2 strings? I think the ergonomics of the slanted frets would be comfortable to play. It is a very nice bass and I like Ibanez products myself. I have a prestige RG Japan model. It too is well made and pretty.

Thanks for the compliment. The other two strings are a low B and a high C. Standard tuning for a six string bass is BEADGC. The fanned frets are very comfortable. Another nice thing is the multi-scale length: 33.6 inches for the C string going up to 35.5 inches for the low B. It does feel like a more consistent tension across all the strings.

So how wide is the fret board? It looks like it would be pretty hard to grip.

[/quote/

The fretboard is 54mm (2.12 inches) wide, the same width as an average 8 string guitar. Someone with smaller hands would probably find it challenging to play. I bought a 7 string guitar back in 2015 which has a fretboard that is wider than most 5 string basses. That combined with experience navigating my way around the low B string has made the transition fairly easy for me.

Archived