Gibson Brands Forums

Georgia Blues doc

livemusic

I enjoyed this documentary not only for Blind Willie McTell bio but also for history of the south (USA) and blues.

What's funny is as I watched it, I pondered him getting tips and favoring coins instead of paper currency because since he is blind, he couldn't tell how much the paper bill is. But incredibly, in the doc, a lady said he could tell a dollar from a five or ten, etc. I wonder if that is just a wives tale or true! Seems far-fetched. (I understand that some country's currency provides ways for the blind to identify modern issue.)

I enjoyed this documentary not only for Blind Willie McTell bio but also for history of the south (USA) and blues.

What's funny is as I watched it, I pondered him getting tips and favoring coins instead of paper currency because since he is blind, he couldn't tell how much the paper bill is. But incredibly, in the doc, a lady said he could tell a dollar from a five or ten, etc. I wonder if that is just a wives tale or true! Seems far-fetched. (I understand that some country's currency provides ways for the blind to identify modern issue.)

I have a friend who is without sight and the guy always amazes me. The one thing he cannot do, however, is tell paper bills apart. What he has somebody do is fold the bills in different corners.

McTell, of course, will always be associated the Oscar Schmidt Stella 12 strings and later the Harmony H922 big round bottom Stellas. Whenever McTell yelled "Kick it Six" you knew you were going to get a Curley Weaver solo. The blues players actually could make pretty good money. Son House once recalled he made $40 a session which is what he could make in one year working the fields. Charley Patton, who was a very popular artist, could make $40 a side. House, Patton, Willie Brown and Louise Brooks were paid $50 a session for the 1930 Grafton, WI recordings earning them $300 each.

McTell was one of the few pre-War artists who remained popular after WWII by which time Memphis Minnie, Tampa Red and others had gone electric.

That was perfect for a rainy Sunday morning, great history. Had it playing in the background while I attacked a 1500 pc puzzle, (wanting to claim my living room back). First I thought of BK when they were going over his six string stuff, then they brought out the 12 string, and thought of Zwoof. That 12 string, what a sound, there's one part where he plays a riff on it... sweeeeet!

Tough history though, seems like we're pretty lucky what got recorded, did get recorded...

Archived