Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson J-180 (Lefty)

Leonard McCoy

I always liked those vintage truss rod covers with the bolder white bevel. But, for actual vintage ones easily set you back a whopping 300 or so bucks, I rather upgraded my custom-made Gibson J-180 with a professional nitrate replica (which wasn't cheap either). Unfortunately, I missed my chance to buy a vintage one from a Gibson Everly guitar, but its price was almost unreasonable anyway.

Here is a screenshot of the new truss rod cover (upgraded from a blank standard one found on modern Gibsons):

gWk8UUA.jpg

Edited by Leonard McCoy

26 minutes ago, Dave F said:

A while back I played around with modifying a standard cover

The problem with that is that vintage ones are not only made of a different kind of plastic no longer in use today but that they are also bevelled so differently from modern ones. On that note, even the vintage replicas Gibson themselves made are not up to par and quite inferior when compared with the actual thing.

Here are a few reference shots of a well-made blank vintage replica (or so I have been told):

img_3539_1038.jpg

img_3541a_1038.jpg

img_3543a_1038.jpg

Edited by Leonard McCoy