Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2013 Northern Super Jumbo

Swing604

My quest for a second J100 to compliment my 2016 SJ100 Walnut ended a lot quicker than I expected when I came across a 2013 limited edition (one of 65 made for the Canadian market) Northern Super Jumbo on my local Craigslist. :) Given that the guitar was an hours drive away & that the last several SJ100’s (& SJ200’s) I had checked out previous to finding my SJ100 Walnut were a bit disappointing, I was a bit hesitant to make the trek but I definitely got lucky. Compared to my Walnut, the NSJ with its rosewood back & sides has a really lovely “bloom” & there’s a noticeable bump in midrange volume, sustain & “bite” as well. At this point, I find the Walnut still generally works best with my singing particularly with fast & mid tempo songs but for slower tunes, the sustain & harmonic complexity of the NSJ is really, really nice. I think the Walnut with its super comfy rolled edge neck will be my main gigging guitar & the Northern Super Jumbo will be strictly for recording & at home play. I’m looking forward to playing lots of vintage Honky Tonk, Rockabilly & Blues on both these guitars. Maybe next year I’ll add another J100 in Mahogany or Maple.... :)

post-98389-095531800 1550895594_thumb.jpeg

My quest for a second J100 to compliment my 2016 SJ100 Walnut ended a lot quicker than I expected when I came across a 2013 limited edition (one of 65 made for the Canadian market) Northern Super Jumbo on my local Craigslist. :) Given that the guitar was an hours drive away & that the last several SJ100’s (& SJ200’s) I had checked out previous to finding my SJ100 Walnut were a bit disappointing, I was a bit hesitant to make the trek but I definitely got lucky. Compared to my Walnut, the NSJ with its rosewood back & sides has a really lovely “bloom” & there’s a noticeable bump in midrange volume, sustain & “bite” as well. At this point, I find the Walnut still generally works best with my singing particularly with fast & mid tempo songs but for slower tunes, the sustain & harmonic complexity of the NSJ is really, really nice. I think the Walnut with its super comfy rolled edge neck will be my main gigging guitar & the Northern Super Jumbo will be strictly for recording & at home play. I’m looking forward to playing lots of vintage Honky Tonk, Rockabilly & Blues on both these guitars. Maybe next year I’ll add another J100 in Mahogany or Maple.... :)

post-98389-095531800 1550895594_thumb.jpeg

Nice acquisition on the Northern SJ .. A real nice guitar .

Archived