Gibson Brands Forums

A great collection of Banners in one place

Lars68

There are some interesting guitars there. The one that caught my eye because of its mix of features was what may be the prototype SJ. The thing that really stood out is the bound fretboard, which we associate with SJ's from around 1948 and later.

Interestingly, I have a modern SJ (Fuller's re-issue) labeled as a "1943 Southern Jumbo", which has a bound fretboard. That always struck me as wrong, since virtually every other feature of the guitar is period-correct. Now it seems the Fuller's may have known what they were doing by specifying a bound fretboard.

You learn something new every day.

There are some interesting guitars there. The one that caught my eye because of its mix of features was what may be the prototype SJ. The thing that really stood out is the bound fretboard, which we associate with SJ's from around 1948 and later.

Interestingly, I have a modern SJ (Fuller's re-issue) labeled as a "1943 Southern Jumbo", which has a bound fretboard. That always struck me as wrong, since virtually every other feature of the guitar is period-correct. Now it seems the Fuller's may have known what they were doing by specifying a bound fretboard.

You learn something new every day.

Technically the SJ is not a banner. But is was the beginning of the wartime period and it is probably 1942 -- "banner" got on the headstock late in 1942. The bound fingerboard is correct.

So I guess our banner collection must also be "important." But we have seven. msp_scared.gif

Best,

-Tom

Technically the SJ is not a banner. But is was the beginning of the wartime period and it is probably 1942 -- "banner" got on the headstock late in 1942. The bound fingerboard is correct.

So I guess our banner collection must also be "important." But we have seven. msp_scared.gif

Best,

-Tom

I would say that your banner collection is "important". Of course, the rest of your collection is pretty staggering as well.

That 1942 SJ should be sold at a discount for having fingerboard binding and missing the banner logo. It's obviously not vintage correct...

By the way, in the big scheme of all things relative, fighting global warming, poverty, and desease is important. Guitars not so much [biggrin]

Lars

That 1942 SJ should be sold at a discount for having fingerboard binding and missing the banner logo. It's obviously not vintage correct...

By the way, in the big scheme of all things relative, fighting global warming, poverty, and desease is important. Guitars not so much [biggrin]

Lars

Hi Lars,

I am not sure if you were joking, but just in case you might accidentally confuse someone -- it is totally vintage correct as well as very early.

Best,

-Tom

Archived