Gibson Brands Forums

John Steinbeck said, "Woody is just Woody"

suburude63

For the "Woody" fans! suburude

John Steinbeck said, "Woody is just Woody. Thousands of people don't know he has any other name. He is just a voice and a guitar. He sings the songs of a people and I suspect that he is, in a way, that people. Harsh voiced and nasal, his guitar hanging like a tire iron on a rusty rim, there is nothing sweet about Woody, and there is nothing sweet about the songs he sings. But there is something more important for those who still listen. There is the will of a people to endure and fight oppression. I think we call this the American spirit."-

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Being-Woody-Guthrie-by-David-Glenn-Cox-090228-488.html

For the "Woody" fans! suburude

John Steinbeck said' date=' "Woody is just Woody. Thousands of people don't know he has any other name. He is just a voice and a guitar. He sings the songs of a people and I suspect that he is, in a way, that people. Harsh voiced and nasal, his guitar hanging like a tire iron on a rusty rim, there is nothing sweet about Woody, and there is nothing sweet about the songs he sings. But there is something more important for those who still listen. There is the will of a people to endure and fight oppression. I think we call this the American spirit."-

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Being-Woody-Guthrie-by-David-Glenn-Cox-090228-488.html[/quote']

Rush Limbaugh would have us believe that is the anti-American spirit.

Who's the real American' date=' Guthrie or Limbaugh? [/quote']

Guthrie... hands down.

limbaugh has just figured out how to make money by riling up those that don't think for themselves. Guthrie spoke for those without a voice.

:-)

Guthrie... hands down.

limbaugh has just figured out how to make money by riling up those that don't think for themselves. Guthrie spoke for those without a voice.

A simple tryth yet so controversial.

Great thread. Enjoyed the article.

My favorite lyric from Guthrie's work are:

Yes, as through this world I've wandered

I've seen lots of funny men;

Some will rob you with a six-gun,

And some with a fountain pen.

And as through your life you travel,

Yes, as through your life you roam,

You won't never see an outlaw

Drive a family from their home.

In recent years, I've found myself thinking that those who will "rob you with a fountain pen" are worse than (certainly as bad) those with a "six-gun."

I went by the nickname "Woody" for the first 30 years of my life -- and may go back.

Finally, I've been looking for someone to read about and some "new" music to listen to. I think Guthrie might be a good candidate after reading the article.

Thanks for the original post and comments.

Woody was truly one of the greats. If you want to know more I'd recommend reading his autobiography "Bound for Glory." Just a fascinating book, every bit as great as Steinbeck who has to be one of my favorite authors. I'd also recommend viewing the movie by the same name starring David Carradine as Woody, lot's of good music and Gibson guitars.

A lot of people here in Sacramento had crowd scenes parts in "Bound For Glory". Some farm camp scenes were filmed in the area. A lot of the scenes had music because music was played at the migrant camps and Guthrie played for them in the union organizing efforts. Lots of great music. I knew a lot of the people in the movie and it's always fun to look for them in the scenes.

Woody was truly one of the greats. If you want to know more I'd recommend reading his autobiography "Bound for Glory." Just a fascinating book' date=' every bit as great as Steinbeck who has to be one of my favorite authors. I'd also recommend viewing the movie by the same name starring David Carradine as Woody, lot's of good music and Gibson guitars.[/quote']

thanks for the recommendations! I just ordered a VHS copy of the movie for a whole 48 cents (plus $2.50 shipping... but still). I actually have an affinity for VHS tapes, much more durable than DVDs... :-)

I ordered a copy of Klein's biography of Gutherie, I haven't read his autobiography, though. should make for some good reading.

Woody was truly one of the greats. If you want to know more I'd recommend reading his autobiography "Bound for Glory." Just a fascinating book' date=' every bit as great as Steinbeck who has to be one of my favorite authors. I'd also recommend viewing the movie by the same name starring David Carradine as Woody, lot's of good music and Gibson guitars.[/quote']

I'm going to get both in the next few days. Thanks for the recommendation.

Guthrie... hands down.

None of us have a voice anymore!!

Archived