Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61 Reissue wood texture

speedy

Hi, I've been offered a 2012 '61 Reissue SG. The seller sent me some nice close ups (I attached one) where the wood texture seems to be much more prominent than what I've seen on a Standard or, e.g., in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K00Vfzc_mgU

In the video it looks much more glossy, Ferrari-like. Is it just the lighting? I mean, the texture in the photo looks beautiful, I'm mainly worried if it's genuine. It certainly looks high quality and the Serial Number checks out to 2012.

mDCQ2GhI.jpeg

Those satin guitars for the most part don't have much in the way of grain filler.  Filling the grain is a time consuming process that is required for nice shiny finishes, not so much for less shiny duller finishes.  Makes them retail for less.  The seller may have shined up the satin finish, that isn't uncommon.

rct

Many thanks, I see. I like it. Wear seems to be comparable to the one in Bill's link--I'd pay close to $100 less though, some of which would go into insured shipping.. Is it a decent price even for the Satin finish? I haven't read bad things about 2012 as a Gibson year..

Thanks for the input. There's the maple fretboard as well instead of rosewood, I doubt this model will hold its value as well as the heritage cherry ones. The guitar in question has its share of dents already--it's third hand--but the seller refuses to go lower than 17% off the retail price. Also it was listed as Heritage Cherry first.. could be a genuine mistake.. but I think I'll stay on the lookout for now

1 hour ago, speedy said:

Thanks for the input. There's the maple fretboard as well instead of rosewood, I doubt this model will hold its value as well as the heritage cherry ones. The guitar in question has its share of dents already--it's third hand--but the seller refuses to go lower than 17% off the retail price. Also it was listed as Heritage Cherry first.. could be a genuine mistake.. but I think I'll stay on the lookout for now

ugh maple fretboad! You're wise for moving on. Good luck!