Gibson Brands Forums

Vibrato ?

rje71

That's what is called the Maestro Vibrola. They came in two versions, short (as pictured), and a "long" model that had a fancy chrome or gold cover that would extend down toward the end of the guitar. These were most commonly used on the SG, Firebird, and ES-355 models. They came in chrome or gold, had either the round rod with the plastic tip (as pictured), or a wide flat bar for the arm.

Thanks a bunch !!!! I am hoping to locate one and a quick google seach showed that it won't be inpossible ...

The round arm could be replaced with the flat one without to much trouble ?

Robert

:)

Thanks a bunch !!!! I am hoping to locate one and a quick google seach showed that it won't be inpossible ...

Robert

:)

I wish you luck! I've never really been able to find them to buy, at least not new. I didn't try ebay though and I searched for them a while and not too vigorously.

I love how they look and sound on sg's. I'd love an Sg custom with a vibrola :) .

The round arm could be replaced with the flat one without to much trouble ?

There is a bolt and a nylon bushing (and maybe a plastic washer) that mount the arm. I'm not sure if they are the same for both type arms' date=' but probably so.

I had the short unit with the flat arm on my '64 Firebird III. I sold it about 15 years ago so my memory of the details are kind of fuzzy. Here's a photo of my Firebird with just the unit I think you are looking for.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/2325678604_aa4807100b_o.jpg[/img]

Archived