Gibson Brands Forums

headstock not completley streight with body on new 1960 les paul historic

Is this normal? I have a new 2018 Gibson Custom Historic 1960 les paul.I noticed that the neck heel on the back of the guitar looks a tiny bit crooked,as you look at the back of the body where the neck heel is.When i look at the headstock from the too,it looks like its very slightly twisted to the right as if the neck is mounted in the body that way? Is this normal practice.I just want some assurance that its ok honestly, it does seem like the heel is simply sanded a bit crooked,as i put a streight edge on it,the streightedge rocks a bit towards the right where you can see the gap get wider...but then it seems like the headstock is slightly following the heels angle.if i lay the guitar down,the right tuning machine hits the table first,leaving about a 1mm gap between the left tuner and the table,not a big deal,i think?  Should a headstock be perfectly streight with the body? And should the neck be mounted in the body perfectly streight? Or is my situation normal? Thanks guys

41EAA8AB-2F51-41F1-863C-FBC468390FFD.jpeg

E2EB80B4-0130-45B3-95D9-DAC626AD9D4A.jpeg

Edited by Gino753
Add photo

In the first photo, not so much in the second one, it looks like the heel is slightly at an angle to the body. I trust it's no optical illusion? Does the fretboard perfectly meet the body at the bass side? Any irregularities there?

The second photo is inconclusive as to whether or not the neck is twisted and, if so, by how much. While looking down the neck, see if it's twisted toward either the bass or treble side.  You can take the two sharp points where the headstock goes over into the neck as reference points. Further, I refer you to Dan Erlewine's "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" for proper instructions and how-tos. A slight twist is usually nothing to worry about, but too much twist can affect playability and is something I would definetely shy away from when buying a guitar.

A luthier or professional guitar technician might provide you with a proper hands-on evaluation.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Well no the neck is not twisted ,im talking about it being mounted into the body slightly crooked,The neck is installed into the pocket cut into the body and the bottom if the fretboard rests on the top of the body.So would it be normal for the neck to sit in the pocket slightly left or right? Also as far as the fit of the neck in the body,its fit in nice , no gaps the fretboard is resting flat on the carved top

Edited by Gino753

Well, if the heel is slanted, which is not normal of course, it begs the question whether the neck has been set at an angle as well resulting in a twist, hence my stressing that point. There could be various other reasons as to why the heel is as slanted as it is. If it doesn't impede playability or bother you in terms of cosmetics, it's all good and well, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gino753:  This is not "normal".  Try looking up the neck from the bridge; this is what I do to quickly check neck relief and it may also give a better perspective on neck "twist" to the body.  It's not really a twist you are looking for but a bend all the way down the neck.

If you can set up the guitar to play well this is just a cosmetic issue but based on the picture of the heel I'd expect the fingerboard to be tilted towards the bass end.

• 9 months later...

I also have a crooked neck heel by around 3/32" with blue polishing compound dust under the finish in the area. Being a woodworker of 35+ years I can see that the neck was set straight and the flat was simply sanded this way. The guitar plays great. Also, the bridge P90 sat at a hard angle towards the neck and would not sit flat without the use of a thick strip of foam under the neck side of the pickup. Again, the guitar plays and resonates geat compared to others I've played. The Gibson inlay has a very dark G and most of the time looks like it says ibson. I think I'd rather have a great playing guitar than one that only looks good. Both would be nice but... I show my cosmetically flawed $1600 2019 LP special TV that plays like a dream to every musician I know at the studio. Some are ok with it and bothers others. Noticed the heel after the honeymoon stage so I'm stuck with it and am somewhat ok with it because of how it plays. So if yours plays great, try to get over it. You now know another thing to look for if or when you're shopping for a newer Gibson. This is my 6th. All others are 2016 and earlier with way more attention to detail. One more thing, the yellow covers the edge of the black laminate on the headstock where all my earlier Gibson's do not.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I just bought a Taylor 322e 12 fret yesterday. I have the same issue with the headstock sliiiiightly angled down towards the low E string. The guitar is perfectly fine, the body and the neck is straight as hell, no problems at all. It`s just the slotted headstock thats tilting abit to the one side. What should I do? Turn it in and ask for a new guitar?