Gibson Brands Forums

New 2008 LPR8 - Iced Tea Burst

LPDEN

I had a post up in the general LP section, but I figured I'd post it up in the Historic section. I spent some time going back and forth between several R8's as well as a '68 Custom VOS.

Long story short, I ended up going with the R8 in Iced Tea Burst.

Here are some pics...

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

That looks great' date=' Denny! I wasn't too keen on it at first but I really like it now. Great colour & grain!

How do you like it and how do you like the '09?[/quote']

Hey Tim,

Your Avatar is looking really smart!

You should post some more pics of your 50th...

Flight959

That looks great' date=' Denny! I wasn't too keen on it at first but I really like it now. Great colour & grain!

How do you like it and how do you like the '09?[/quote']

Thanks Tim. Yes, In addition to really capturing the feel and sound of nice fat neck 58, the color and grain very much sew it up as a complete vintage look and feel package. I'm very happy with this one. A friend of mine who owns a real '58 commented how he wished his had this color. Of course, I'd love to have his '58. Incidentally, the neck carve on his '58 is could be deemed the example my R8's was based on. Gibson got it right on this R8 compared to his.

Now compared the R8 to the R9 50th, well, I really have come to see these as two different guitars offering their own feel and playability. Looks of course are much different as well. I prefer the playing the R9 50th, even more so than my prior R9's. The neck is seemingly faster (to me) being it feels slightly as a ever so thinner carve in my hand. So aside from any perceptions the R9 50th may have as being a collector, I find it's probably more of a player.

If I had to choose to keep and sell between these two, I'd keep the R9 50th of course. Thank goodness that's not a decision I need to make at this juncture because I love them both for their own qualities.

What a difference a day or so can make... I have major GAS for a Vintage LP Junior I found locally. I may have to sacrifice the R8 to be able to justify this... I really need to get a hold of this GAS stuff...=D>

Archived