Gibson Brands Forums

Tube amp + digital fx/preamp module?

Thundergod

Is any of you guys using a tube amp with anything digital? I always thought that defeated the purpose of the tube amp... I have one of those pocket pods (the one with a screen and 4 knobs) and had bee using it to play at home either with headphones or with a small SS amp, the thing sounds decent with either.

Yesterday I had a studio gig (not as a guitarist but as sound enginer and producer) and one of the guitar guys asked me if I had anything by line6. I took my pocket pod out and gave it to him, we did a couple of tracks to see how it worked out and I was not impressed, but I have to admit it sounded prety close to any album produced for the last 10 years.

He still wanted to record from it, so I decided to do a little experiment and plug it into the AC30... WOW! I was blown away by the tones we got out of it even using the stock presets, I went earlier today and just played with the les paul plugged to the pocket pod and the pocked pod to the ac30, both channels linked... sounded great.

Hey Thunder... I just got back home from vacation and set up my Egnator Rebel 20. The amp is sooo sweeeeet.... Sounds great on its own at any volume, clean or dirty. It doesn't have any built in FX though so I hooked up my Pocket Pod in the FX loop of the amp and its very very cool.... I also bought a Cry Baby Wah Wah so I can dial in some pretty nice tones with that too. I think you have a Pocket Pod too don't you?

CIMG3274.jpg

POD into AC30 is a popular rig - wide styles too

I've seen both Brad Paisley, and Pete Anderson use that type of rig, with great results.

I know quite a few touring acts who bring Guitars and POD XT Live, Boss GT' or Vox Tonelab floorboards and rent local fender twins (feed POD out into Twin) It all depends on the tour budget, and schedules - often a band will be on tour - but a last minute PR opportunity will occur 1000 miles away for a fund raiser, charity event, TV show - requiring fly the band in for the gig - Most good Guitar Tech's can dial in tones that sound 80% as good as the full rig - and feed the PA. the crowd is still happy.

Hey Thunder... I just got back home from vacation and set up my Egnator Rebel 20. The amp is sooo sweeeeet.... Sounds great on its own at any volume' date=' clean or dirty. It doesn't have any built in FX though so I hooked up my Pocket Pod in the FX loop of the amp and its very very cool.... I also bought a Cry Baby Wah Wah so I can dial in some pretty nice tones with that too. I think you have a Pocket Pod too don't you?

[/quote']

Hey Dave, how was your vacation? Man that amp you got is big! I thought they were like half the size!

Yes I have a pocket pod, have you used the PC editor? I havent but seeing as this thing sounds I might start doing it (and will definetively try it in the fx loop). I think I have the same model you have, this little dude:

Pocket%20POD%203.jpg

Never tried but I would think that using a digital preamp would be at least as good as using a tube preamp. Most of us are always carrying on about power tube distortion and the big time cork sniffers turn up their noses at even tube preamp distortion so what the heck, give it a shot. The one caveat would be that you'd probably want to turn off any power amp or speaker cabinet simulators if you use it with a traditional guitar amp and speakers rather than one designed to be used with a POD or whatever.

I have a Pod XTLive and purchased all the release packs for it.

Is that the floorboard version of the higher end pod? Is it capable of conecting to the amp using 4 cables? (I dont know if "the 4 cable method" applies for line 6 stuff as it does to boss multifx units).

Hey Dave' date=' how was your vacation? Man that amp you got is big! I thought they were like half the size!

Yes I have a pocket pod, have you used the PC editor? I havent but seeing as this thing sounds I might start doing it (and will definetively try it in the fx loop). I think I have the same model you have, this little dude:

[img']http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/uploads/Image/guitars/Line%206/Pocket%20POD%203.jpg[/img]

Yeah thunder the editor is great.... You can edit up the patches and save them no problem... and the software is free!!! just down load it from Line 6's web.

My vacation was great... I even got to go skiing with my brother which is something I haven't done in 15 years... I didn't even fall once, Hahhahahahah, but I noticed I am not as young as I used to be.

Archived